A game in 14 days

• How do I make a game in 14 days? I have no ideas or no code. I’m going to have a game race with 3 of my friends and it will be showcased at my school.

I’m using C++ and I have a separate game that I’m willing to use as my idea, but otherwise I’m clueless. We can use other people’s code, too.

My other game’s code is on GitHub, here.

Their guidelines:

• Console-based game
    • C++ ONLY
    • All code must be done at lunchtime in the auditorium (meaning I can’t code at home)
    • Code can be used from other people
    • <<Other unimportant and safety issues>>

• LDG

Wow those are some intense limitations, sounds fun!

My advice is to make the simplest idea that excites you (sounds like you can think of ideas in your downtime!) and then focus on the bare minimum to complete your experience. If it’s not something the game MUST have to be finished, don’t do it :) Good luck!

• Patron

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun! :D

I wish I could do something like that in my school, but we have only 15mins of lunchtime and we don’t have a computer lab (anymore).

Can you code in C? Because, as far as I know, C code is also valid C++ code. Also, are you allowed to code an interpreter for a simple scripting language and using it in your game?

That would be pretty much pointless, but, still, fun.

• @Josue I’m allowed to use a code interpreter. I don’t know what C can or can’t do compared to C++, so…

• Patron

@Lax26 said:

@Josue I’m allowed to use a code interpreter.

Well, then throw some Duktape on it!

• Tiger Hat

Wow, only at lunch time? Even if you have an hour for lunch that’s rough. The only time I ever get anything done in my hobby code projects is by doing them while I’m at work under the justification (to myself) that it makes me a better programmer :)

Anyway, if you can use other libs, and it has to be console based, then I’d say shoot for libtcod and here is a 12+ part tutorial that I haven’t read but am hoping that you could hit the concepts of each step once per day.

oh and that does sound like fun, maybe you should post the schedule and we could follow along :)

• Patron

@Warspawn said:

Wow, only at lunch time? Even if you have an hour for lunch that’s rough.

Well, IDK exactly what it is called in whatever country you guys live in, so… I might be saying something completely unrelated.

This is our schedule: we enter school at 7:00AM. At 10:00AM, we have a 15 minute break. Then, we leave school at 12:30AM.

• @Josue I leave school at 3…

• Turns out it doesn’t have to be a game. Making a technology tree as a collaboration.

• Tiger Hat

@Warspawn said:

The only time I ever get anything done in my hobby code projects is by doing them while I’m at work under the justification (to myself) that it makes me a better programmer :)

+1 for self-justification ;)