Lostcast 110: Photon Storm 2

• Tiger Hat

Really liked this episode guys - good job!

Highlights: An interview with photon storm was really timely for me - I’m looking at starting to think about considering using phaser (hey, I’ve downloaded it - that’s pretty close to shipping a game, right? pat on back).
    I really recall want to earn ‘some’ money from a game this year and phaser seems like a good bet for accomplishing that :)
    It was good to hear some more of the background to phaser, as it gives confidence about its longevity. Some of the cool things Rich has been up to were good to hear too. I might go back and relisten to ep. 9.
    Rich is british. I am british. British people can make games. I can make games!

Lowlights: Rich’s microphone was a bit quiet.

That’s it thanks guys!

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

Lowlights: Rich’s microphone was a bit quiet.

Yeah, some more compression, gain and noise gate, maybe?

• LDG

hooray, feedback! thanks guys :D

Yeah I had a hard time with Rich’s recording, because the overall volume was very low, but Geoff and my voices were still leaking in kinda. Spent some time fiddling with it but wasn’t totally happy. ah well done better than perfect!

YES YOU CAN make games! Honestly using Phaser and shipping some simple license-friendly mobile games is a fantastic way to start.

• LDG

+1 for the “guilt trip” tag.

• I found it amusing that I didn’t recognize Rich at first because of the improved mic quality. I was still expecting the same voice I heard on Lostcast 9 haha

@cheersphilip , same here! I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve downloaded Phaser and Googled a tutorial but haven’t really done anything. But after listening to the podcast, as well as finding out that someone I know is also interested, I might actually make something today! :)

• Patron

@ken said:

@cheersphilip , same here! I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve downloaded Phaser and Googled a tutorial but haven’t really done anything.

Yeah man, I’ve also been there multiple times.

Trying to code something I really have no idea how to do… getting frustrated… saying: “Screw this! I’m going to Phaser”… reading the API docs… running screaming back to my code base :P

Phaser sure has tons of niceties and features, but, as Rich said, it’s basically Flixel HTML5, and I don’t like that.

I really liked the way Crafty works, but, except for input, rendering and collision detection, it doesn’t really offer many default components, and looks like it hasn’t been updated in a while, now that Louis has basically moved on.

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

+1 for the “guilt trip” tag.

The “I’ll put that in” tag was actually “I’ll put that in the show notes”, but it got shortened.

• LDG

I was wondering about that! +1 for hilarity