Frustrating things about programming.

• Having bugs, going to fix the bugs, and then having more bugs.

Also, not knowing why something works even though it does and knowing something will work and it does not.

Anybody else have some experiences?

• Tiger Hat

All the time. :)

Those days are good days to take a mulligan. Usually the next day you hit the problem at a new angle and it becomes easy.

The biggest trick is to stay motivated

• LDG

Knowing what you want to accomplish but not how to get there. Sometimes the tech gets in the way, and other times you may not know enough yet.

Having to refactor as a result of previously coding yourself into a corner.

Mucking up elegant code for the sake of optimization.

All the work your fingers have to do in order to get what’s in your head on to the screen.

• Waiting for code to compile. I miss JavaScript haha

• Tiger Hat

Other people’s code.

• Patron

The toolkit upgrades and breaks previously working code. In my experience, Android is the biggest offender of this.

• LDG

Spending a ton of time figuring something out, feeling great about it, then later realizing that feature needs to be cut. Ouch!

• Patron

@geoffb said:

Knowing what you want to accomplish but not how to get there.

I usually experience somewhat of the opposite of that.

I have an idea of what I want to accomplish, and I know exactly how to do that, but then I quickly get demotivated because I don’t know if that’s really what I wanted anymore.

• Patron

@Josue said:

@geoffb said:

Knowing what you want to accomplish but not how to get there.

I usually experience somewhat of the opposite of that.

I have an idea of what I want to accomplish, and I know exactly how to do that, but then I quickly get demotivated because I don’t know if that’s really what I wanted anymore.

I find figuring out how to do something tickles me more than actually doing it. Thus when I do know how to accomplish what I want, I have a hard time making myself go through with it.

• Patron

Oh… yeah, makes sense! :D

So, I’m gonna make a 3D, MMO, F2P, PTW, turn based CCG, coded entirely in x86 Assembly using Visual Studio on Windows 10!

• @Josue NOT PTW!!!

• @Josue said:

3D, MMO, F2P, PTW, turn based CCG
    Umm… TF2? (3D, MMO, F2P, Not necessarily PTW but it can be, collect steam cards…)