Ideas Wanted: Challenging AWL scenarios

• LDG

I know things have been a bit quiet on the AWL front since last year, but we’re preparing a small content update and I wanted to solicit some input from everyone.

What combinations of enemies provide a good challenge? Not restricted by dungeon, either. e.g. Fire Elementals and Owls.

Which items would be really difficult to kill certain enemies? e.g, Eyeballs using only the Bomb Totem.

Also looking for any fun combos like mowing down a room full of Owls with the Owlslayer!

• @geoffb said:

I know things have been a bit quiet on the AWL front since last year, but we’re preparing a small content update and I wanted to solicit some input from everyone.

Train boss.

What combinations of enemies provide a good challenge? Not restricted by dungeon, either. e.g. Fire Elementals and Owls.

Train boss + train boss.

Which items would be really difficult to kill certain enemies? e.g, Eyeballs using only the Bomb Totem.

Train boss.

Also looking for any fun combos like mowing down a room full of Owls with the Owlslayer!

Train boss.

• LDG

Train Boss

• Tiger Hat

Okay, giving a serious anwser…

Minotaurs, Ogres, Fire Elementals, Kobolds in close quarters. Largely, most Crypt enemies are pretty deadly. Individually, most of them can be dealt with given the rooms are not too trap-ridden (which is a big factor in the Crypt) but in groups, they’re insanely dangerous.

Though if one think about non-Crypt foes…

Mobs of Mutant Zombies, Grave Keepers and Green Goblins together with fodder to serve as cover or in rooms with lots of explosives…

Generally, mixed groups with complementary attacks. Traps that tend to be on the nasty side are arrow traps, explosives everywhere, wind fans (sucking or blowing), mushrooms (poison and explosive).

Stationary and/or foes that only react if activated or approached tend to be less dangerous (with the exception of Ogres if they’re in mixed groups that prevent you from stunlocking them) because you can actually take the time to plan your approach and disarm traps before fighting them. Muck Monsters may be one of the biggest sources of deaths when you’re less experienced but the fact that you always face them on your terms make them far more manageable once you get more experienced.

Water enemies are another type of foe that are situational. They have low HP and don’t attack often but their attacks are really deadly. So it vary a lot on the room.

Few enemies are really that deadly on their own, especially without traps around. The only oned that really come to mind are the Minotaur and the Fire Elemental.

Hope it helps.

• LDG

good stuff! this should be fun

• Hey remember that version of Death that spam summoned Minotaurs from his throne? You only had it in for a couple of days for streamers as I recall.
    • Shovel run.
    • Sewer Hag + Death is a good combo if the room were big enough.
    • Fighting fire with fire run, I remember @Elite bringing up how difficult the Fire Elemental’s fire resistance was against the magic staff.
    • Also now that the generic main character is out, maybe you can bring back that Death Knight version, remember the grey one that would see you and then shout at you?

This is all I can think of that could build on existing content.

• LDG

@Mew @Affordable_Desk Excellent, thanks! I especially like the idea of showcasing the water monsters and the fire staff vs fire elementals. Also like the sappers, mushrooms, and fans.

@richtaur and I discussed some boss combos which could be really interesting. So far I’ve got a boss rush challenge, which is pretty difficult.

Something else that I’ve been playing around with are the puzzle mechanics. Light and dark blocks, keys/chests, and pressure plates.

• Patron

A cameo of some famous indie game character would be fun…

Maybe Mr.Spelunker?

• LDG

Challenge Mode is available on the Steam beta channel. I’ll put up a stand-alone build shortly. Feedback weclome!

We are planning more challenges, by the way. First we wanted to push it out minimally and release new challenges every so often.

• Tiger Hat

@Affordable_Desk said:

• Fighting fire with fire run, I remember @Elite bringing up how difficult the Fire Elemental’s fire resistance was against the magic staff.

I withdraw this suggestion.

• Tiger Hat

Hmmm… I’m thinking that a challenge that play on Raga’s status as a mere pet on an impossible mission could be fun. AKA a challenge based more on survival than anything else…

Well, I think I’ll give the ideas that came to mind. Hopefully, some of them will prove interesting (and feasible).

-Run Raga Run: A serie of increasingly tough rooms, with themes fitting the game’s locales. The rooms are actually close to the story mode rooms… mostly because the main point of this challenge is running away from a homing Death’s scythe which pursue you through the rooms and can never be shaken off (it spawn in every room you enter after a while).

-Death’s Happy Colosseum of Thrills: A serie of horizontal rooms with Death (invincible) sitting at the top of every single room. Death never actually attack ; instead he sit there and, if you’re too slow, will make rooms “less boring” by starting to warp in enemies. The goal is to reach the last room of the map.

-The Inevitable: Single room, Death is at the center of the room and is invincible. Death will only use his scythes and fireballs/iceballs… with a twist: the scythes don’t fall and fade. Every scythe he throw stay on-screen. The goal is to survive as long as possible until the amount of scythes get too much for Raga to dodge. Ghost mode disabled ; the challenge ends when Raga dies and become a ghost.

-Nothing is more precious (than life): The goal is to escape a zombie-filled graveyard. The exit, which is in the first room, can only be accessed while alive. Problem: Raga start out dead, after he impaled himself on a spike trap. So you must trek through the map to find a resurrection circle while surviving the hordes of ghosts and then, backtrack to the entrance. However, violating the laws of life & death will anger Death ; an undefeatable version of Death will spawn, teleporting in Raga’s way and pursuing him all the way through the graveyard until the challenge ends.

-Disposable Hero: A puzzle-based challenge ; one has to clear a complicated serie of rooms that involve a lot of one-way obstacles that can only be cleared if alive or dead. The map has a LOT of resurrection circles and few/no enemies. This is because your brain, not your trigger fingers, will be challenged on this map.

-Medieval Minesweeper: Do you like explosives? Did you enjoy the barrel rooms in story mode? Then this challenge will be very fun for you! Of course, the rooms involve a lot of cramped spaces and you starting out with the Boom Spear, making it easier to blow yourself u… I mean, making this challenge even more fun!

-Dawn of the Dead (lizard): Shop/city-themed tileset map, large in size. Zombies, zombies everywhere of all types, including multiple warlords and zombie shopkeepers. Don’t become a zombie (AKA don’t die ; ghost mode disabled). Find the exit.

-Your Head Asplode: Boom Spear, explosive mushrooms, barrels, minotaurs who throw Boom Spears, Kobolds, oh my.

-Boss Rush Complete: Fight not only every boss but also all mid-bosses and optional bosses! Arena for each boss based off their story mode rooms. In order: White Zombie, Werewolf Ambush, Zombie Warlord, Slime Crystal, Gelatinous Cube, Zombie Shopkeeper, Sewer Hag, Blood Crystal, Gelatinice Cube, White Daemon, Death. Unlike in story mode, the Crystal bosses must be defeated to move on. Between every room is a shop always selling three health potions. The player start with exactly enough money to buy three of them and all foes drop nothing.

-Obstacle Course: Large maze filled with tons of traps. No foes ; challenge is entirely upon finding the exit without being skewered by the traps.

• Likely a bit late, but you could add a giant lizard boss (as your nemesis lizard sibling/old friend). Eh. I don’t know.

• LDG

Thanks for the ideas you guys. We’ll do another Challenge Mode update at some point, so keep ‘em comin’!

• Penguin

@Lax26 said:

Likely a bit late, but you could add a giant lizard boss (as your nemesis lizard sibling/old friend). Eh. I don’t know.

Oooo it could be his older brother!

I may know of an older brother who used to use “communist interrogation” on his younger brother…

• @Macaronee said:

@Lax26 said:

Likely a bit late, but you could add a giant lizard boss (as your nemesis lizard sibling/old friend). Eh. I don’t know.

Oooo it could be his older brother!

I may know of an older brother who used to use “communist interrogation” on his younger brother…

…“Communist Interrogation”… I’m laughing so hard right now. Is it… your… older brother? xD

• I’d also like to see a purple mutated bubbly acid monster of sorts. I think it will really go well with the game (screenshots). I have not actually played the game yet, though.

• Penguin

@Lax26 said:

I’d also like to see a purple mutated bubbly acid monster of sorts. I think it will really go well with the game (screenshots). I have not actually played the game yet, though.

You fit right in with your Tiger Hat opinion :D

Also, it was @geoffb who used “communist interrogation” on his younger brother. My brother would never do that to me!

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

Also, it was @geoffb who used “communist interrogation” on his younger brother. My brother would never do that to me!

No, of course not! Penguins are far crueler in their torture techniques

• @Elite said:

@Macaronee said:

Incorrect. 42 Kirkland Signature large cookies is the most cruel of all (except it gives you your recommended daily calories).

@geoffb I’m keepin’ my eye on you.

• @Lax26 said:

Named Agar. Get the Lego - Ogel reference? Yeah… okay… I’m… just gonna go now…

• Penguin

@Lax26 said:

@Elite said:

@Macaronee said:

Incorrect. 42 Kirkland Signature large cookies is the most cruel of all (except it gives you your recommended daily calories).

Why, penguin torture techniques DO involve massive amounts of pastries.