Lostcast 104: Koopa Color 5

• Patron

I found reviewing your 2013 wishlist the most interesting.

I don’t know how you two survived living in California pulling “little more than half” of $100k that then required splitting between the two of you minus business expenses. Fortunately, software development does not have high maintenance costs. Still, you dove head first in to the shallow HTML5 pool to get LDG off the ground. Wow. The Steam sales check must have been nice relief.

I didn’t catch a wishlist for 2015. Did you make one? Is that tactics game coming in 2015? Ragatron needs another LDG game to hack. ;-)

I’m glad 2014 was a really good year for LDG. I had a really good year too.

• @geoffb you might want to take a look at this RE: your card game.

http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods

It’s probably not re-purposable for your needs but it’s quite an interesting take on it, they made it for a 7 day game jam check out the video. Also it’s forkable on Github.

• Tiger Hat

Deskerate Gods. I’ve kept the server open, let’s play! 4 players allowed!

• @Affordable_Desk said:

http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods

It’s probably not re-purposable for your needs but it’s quite an interesting take on it, they made it for a 7 day game jam check out the video. Also it’s forkable on Github.

Sorry, I’m not reading anything in detail this morning. Is that the thing that got turned into desktop simulator? Because I believe desktop simulator lets you import images onto tokens and such. Unfortunately it ain’t free ($15 normally, $10 now for a sale). But apparently they have a linux version now ^_^

• Correction: Tabletop Simulator, here’s a link http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/

• Tiger Hat

@Faison said:

Correction: Tabletop Simulator, here’s a link http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/

Purchased.

• LDG

@dannagle said:

I didn’t catch a wishlist for 2015. Did you make one? Is that tactics game coming in 2015? Ragatron needs another LDG game to hack. ;-)

The lists are fun yeah but it’s difficult to estimate what we can get done in a year. Prooooooobably we’re going to double down on project skirmish, aiming for a Q1 release. Watch us fail at that! Afterwards we’ll probably seek funding for a larger game.

I’m glad 2014 was a really good year for LDG. I had a really good year too.

Awesome! For us it was pretty much just getting a game on Steam, which in 2015 might be something any developer can do (looks like they’re opening the floodgates soon). What’dja get done in 2014? Any goals for 2015?

• Patron

@richtaur said:

What’dja get done in 2014? Any goals for 2015?

2014:

2015 Goals:

• Packet Sender for iOS.

• Ragatron for Mac. (It works! It just needs some polish).

• Open source some more projects.

• Overhaul my main site to be purely static. I am seeing amazing performance gains with this strategy of dropping WordPress in favor of static.

• LDG

That’s some great output! Nice work.

• Tiger Hat

@dannagle said:

I don’t know how you two survived living in California pulling “little more than half” of $100k that then required splitting between the two of you minus business expenses.

Matt started focusing full-time on LDG around the same time I was winding down with grad school and had gotten a real job. I wasn’t making much money the previous few years while I was in school so we were used to surviving on little more than one income. It wasn’t that big of a stretch to survive mostly on my income.

For those of you who aren’t yet partnered, I can’t stress enough that your choice of partner is one of the most important decisions you can make in life. Matt helped me through school and I helped him while they were getting LDG off the ground. It sounds cheesy, but make sure you find someone who will help you follow your dreams!

• Patron

@andraconda

find someone who will help you follow your dreams

Nice you were able to fill the income gap while Matt goes off playing with his games :-P

My wife is very supportive of my hobbies. I don’t dare attempt them full time full time though. I can’t take that risk. A day job has the plus of a steady income, but it has the minus that my hobby projects take forever to finish. Exhibit A: My book. I started writing about the time Lava Blade was released, and my book was finally able to be purchased about the time A Wizard’s Lizard was Greenlit.

• Tiger Hat

STOP PRESS!

I just finished listening to 105, and all the way through, particularly when Matt was talking, I was thinking “has this been badly edited together from lots of different conversations!?!”

Then we got to the bit about the “automatic silence removal script” and I understood!

In classic LDG fashion ;) it appears that a product change has been released into the wild without full testing :P

Although no-one else has commented on this, I found it a really jarring experience, and would far rather have the additional 4 minutes bonus material, inserted in it’s rightful places, than listen to another Loscast where the pitch of a voice at the end of one word does not match the pitch of the word after it, due to the speaker having paused for breath. You are allowed to breathe - that’s how talking works!

Plus, although I may be imagining this, I felt that it even sliced some pauses out of the outro music!!

It feels like leaving a half-second gap between words, although HIGHLY inefficient in terms of listening time, does make the difference between listening to a real conversation and listening to two computers reading a script out loud.

Because aComputerWill readLikeThis untilItGetsTo theEndOfTheSentence.

Please don’t do this again.

PS: @Macaronee = really cute voice

• LDG

Cool that’s good feedback @cheersphilip, exactly what I was looking for. The delay is currently set to 0.75 seconds if the audio falls below 1%. I could try tweaking that stuff or just skipping this step entirely.

• Patron

Speeding the video up is 0% taxing on Matt and is very effective.

• Patron

Wow! It has been a while since I’ve done one of these!

I write some notes while listening to the podcasts, but actually writing these posts is surprisingly time consuming, so, I blame it on the lazyness.

But I gotta do these as soon as I write my notes down, as most of them are really nonsensical out of context.

• You also gotta take in account that Rich is an active user on way more communities than you do. He has a pretty succesful game up on Newgrounds, he’s obviously all the way around the HTML5 Dev Forums and all of that is not to mention that he used to be all over the Flixel forums with his Flixel Power Tools, back in the day.

• I think the main problem with new year resolutions is generally that they are too vague and thus, it’s hard to keep track of your progress on them. Making them very specific and associating number goals can help make them actually useful.

• Matt sounds like Dave from the EEVBllog at 17:37 (not his accent but rather saying something like that and then “love it!”).

• U crazy muricans! What in the world is 4 square, besides the social network?

• Coding = marking_territory_analogy === pure_gold

• Meditation Cast you say? Sorry guys, that already exists.

• Just for future reference: Matt, make a Halloween costume for Koopa!

• Guys, I would really like you to start doing those video casts again. Is doing them much of a hassle for you?

• I can’t help myself but think that pet training is like brainwashing through hypnosis so you can rewrite their instincts…

Hmmm… Sound like a good idea for a game!

• Melissa’s sweet voice reminded me: what about the much awaited Lady Cast?
      It would funny if your ladies (or dudettes, @Macaronee?) took over the podcast.

• So, Hunger Games is basically the Sonic 3 & Knuckles of movies?

• Since I’ve read Tomas Sala’s article about texture-less 3D, I’ve been really interested in that. Imagine that, in addition to having a very small pallete, you don’t have to choose perspectives or anything like that!

• Please Geoff, don’t make harpies. They are to Harmony of Dissonance what Medusa Heads were to CV I.

• Why does Geoff always say the “ship it” part?

• Don’t get me wrong but… Can you please start talking about some technical stuff? I’m starting to kind of lose interest.

• Patron

Last night I was out walking with my girl. We were discussing dogs, and I was trying to figure out, “which one of my friends was it who just got a dog?”. She was rather annoyed with me when I finally realized it was @richtaur

• Tiger Hat

@dannagle said:

@richtaur said:

What’dja get done in 2014? Any goals for 2015?

2014:

congrats! be honest though, that mdt review is someone in your family :)

• Patron

@Warspawn said:

congrats! be honest though, that mdt review is someone in your family :)

Nah, a no-purchase review saying my book is “A once in a generation text” and was posted within a week that my book was published? Surely, that review is totally unbiased!

• LDG

@Josue said:

Wow! It has been a while since I’ve done one of these!

Welcome back!

But I gotta do these as soon as I write my notes down, as most of them are really nonsensical out of context.

I hear you there. Context is EVERYTHING

• You also gotta take in account that Rich is an active user on way more communities than you do. He has a pretty succesful game up on Newgrounds, he’s obviously all the way around the HTML5 Dev Forums and all of that is not to mention that he used to be all over the Flixel forums with his Flixel Power Tools, back in the day.

Very true, we forget sometimes that he’s been doing this a lot longer than we have. Probably because we were all just starting with HTML5 around the same time – but we were game dev newbs and he was a veteran.

• Matt sounds like Dave from the EEVBllog at 17:37 (not his accent but rather saying something like that and then “love it!”).

I’ll take it!

• U crazy muricans! What in the world is 4 square, besides the social network?

Oh right, I usually try to 'splain stuff that seems cryptic. I might talk about 4-square on the 'cast, it’s one of my favorites games from childhood.

• Coding = marking_territory_analogy === pure_gold

haha great right, some people get THAT upset too, like you just peed on their code ;)

• Meditation Cast you say? Sorry guys, that already exists.

man that ASMR stuff is crazy! I can’t handle it.

• Just for future reference: Matt, make a Halloween costume for Koopa!

I’ll put my best @andraconda on it!

• Guys, I would really like you to start doing those video casts again. Is doing them much of a hassle for you?

Oh wow I forgot we did a video of that first remote episode. Interesting. We really want to get more into YouTube, and making video while casting might be doable. We’ll try it out soon and see how it goes.

• I can’t help myself but think that pet training is like brainwashing through hypnosis so you can rewrite their instincts…

Their instincts are to follow their pack leader, so they’re really happy when they know what their owner wants of them. HEY NINTENDOGSLOLOL!

• Melissa’s sweet voice reminded me: what about the much awaited Lady Cast?

I’ve been pestering @andraconda for a games user research cast for some time now. We should make that happen soon.

• So, Hunger Games is basically the Sonic 3 & Knuckles of movies?

haha sounds about right

• Since I’ve read Tomas Sala’s article about texture-less 3D, I’ve been really interested in that. Imagine that, in addition to having a very small pallete, you don’t have to choose perspectives or anything like that!

Nice thanks for the link. Bookmarked!

• Why does Geoff always say the “ship it” part?

not always, just almost always ;)

• Don’t get me wrong but… Can you please start talking about some technical stuff? I’m starting to kind of lose interest.

ouch! We’ll probably naturally get more technical as we start digging into the next game this week.

• LDG

@David said:

Last night I was out walking with my girl. We were discussing dogs, and I was trying to figure out, “which one of my friends was it who just got a dog?”. She was rather annoyed with me when I finally realized it was @richtaur

hahahaha! awesome. I had a similar thing with Kevin Smith’s podcast (he’s got crazy dog stories)

• Patron

I thought it would be kind of funny to show how my “raw” notes look like.

Past Josué was smart enough to not write down which episode was this from, so, you’ll have to help me out with that.

P.S :This one is relatively short. I used to write an average of 2500 words per episode around episode 60-ish, but I got tired of pausing every five seconds to write a note down.

If there only was an easy to use thought-to-text solution…

P.P.S: BTW, I really need an easy way to transfer files between my devices. I hate cables and Air Drop is Mac only.
    I had to e-mail myself this text from my phone.

Didn't say what gonna play us out with.

If you're gonna be redesigning something just kill it and see if you can live without it. And if you can't go back and start from scratch.

I think releasing the prototypes is specially good for deciding what to do with things which are on the fence. Return of the Obra Dinn. Cut before too expensive. If making a product take feedback seriously. What are you gonna loose? You talk like you are going to take every single piece of feedback in.

Extra Credits Randomness

Combine Geoff' s + Matt' s two micros not divide (transistor action + turn based) If done right reutilize assets same perspective

Fez The Witness non-linearity Disasterpeace talk, perfectly done interesting

Really liked your talk about progress/success/andwhatnot. It's so me.

Well, you don't see game jam games on Steam, but you see games on Steam which are basically a game jam game with more content.

Skirmish