Lostcast Episode 100

• Patron

• Melissa’s voice is so cute! She sounds like a character from an anime or something.
      Speaking of which, here’s the Portuguese intro.

• One of my dream devices is a Goggle Glass with a 6K sensor and several terabytes of storage that can record videos in RAW. Then I would basically have super high quality photos of everything I looked at.
      Of course, going through all that footage and extracting photos of the interesting moments would be a monumental task, but at least I wouldn’t have to worry about it as something is happening.

• I would highly recommend Tigsource over Reddit or something like that.
      The people in there are just so talented, helpful and just awesome in general!

• People who need to be in future casts:

• Tim Follin
      • JM
      • Joe Huckaby
      • Photonstorm
    • Recording at California Extreme:

• Lav mics
      • 1 mic for noise cancelling
      • Done
    • Hey guys, what if you did a live cast once a month up on Twitch? Maybe a monthly metacast, analysing feedback 'n stuff.
      That would be awesome!
      Seriously, you should just stream what you’re doing 24/7. I mean, you just pretty much need to open OBS and you’re done.

• I’m now on vacation so, I don’t have 2 daily hours of going to and from school and I was thinking “Well, how am I gonna listen to Lostcast now?”. Turns out playing games while listening to podcasts works great, as long as the game doesn’t rely heavily on text or audio.
      I’m actually kind of embarassed that I didn’t think about that before…
      Also, straming the cast on VLC is such a better experience than doing it directly in the browser.
      How didn’t I think about that either?

• In the past, every time you started to tell repeated stories I was like: “Ok, here’s some exposure for the Loscast newbies”.
      But now that I know that you do it just because you don’t remember…

• (39:30) Interesting, I like discussions about implementation way better than about game design.
      I don’t know exactly why but I think that one of the factors is that putting some technical knowledge you earned in practice is way easier than using a game design trick you just learned.

• (41) Loscast/Arrested Development analogy = pure gold

• (43) That reminded me of when you launched Crypt Run’s Kickstarter…
      I was on vacation with my family and we would wake up early to walk on the beach.
      And I just listened to you talking about Crypt Run while walking on the beach…
      Great times!

• (52:40) Geoff: “We don’t wanna let you down”

• (53) One of the things that made Cave Story really interesting was the levelling up system, specially that your weapons level down when you get hit. Pixel said that this was his solution for player not worrying about getting hit by the end of the game.

• (54) Matt: “Early Final Fantasy games didn’t go that high”. Perhaps because they were 8-bit and programmers were lazy?
      I think that “big numbers” discussion can be pretty much summarized by Adam Atomic’s great Press Any Key.

• Funnily enough, I still think the first 30 cast where the best ones…

• Man, I’ve lost the count of how many times people have caught me laughing alone listening to Lostcast. It’s kind of embarassing…

• Hmmm… I like self deprecation as it is now.

• So, Lava Sword was up on Google Play until some months ago, wasn’t it? I remember seeing it, but didn’t get a chance to play it. And now you pulled it off :(

• I think that, at this point, 2/3 of every Lostcast are tangents, so, if you don’t like tangents, you just don’t like Lostcast.

• Well, listening to the podcast at higher speeds doesn’t necessarily mean a change in pitch, but even then your voices are gonna be kinda weird.
      Here’s a test.

• But 0.5 speed cast would take twice as long to record…

• When you talked about ASM.js, I thought about posting what exactly it is on the forums, but I figured I was probably gonna sound pretentious and that you knew you had no idea what you were talking about, so…

• (1:20:00) Well, they must have a less focused brain that us Matt. Not sure whether that’s an advantage or not.

• Thank you sooooooo much for reading my survey comment and shouting me out. I love when you guys do that kind of thing, like interacting with the forums on Lostcast or answering questions. My heart always starts beating like crazy when you say my name XD. It’s like if someone read a letter of yours on your favorite TV show.
      Oh, BTW, the second time Geoff said my name, it was almost right. Matt is almost there too.
      Here, listen.
      Edit: I just remembered that Youtube’s speed up feature does time-to-time frequency analysis, so, it works just like that.

• “We enjoy your fanatism” made me LOL so hard!

• What JM did to Lower Brinstar’s theme is just genious! That should be a standalone remix.

• LDG

@Josue said:

• Melissa’s voice is so cute! She sounds like a character from an anime or something.

Yeah she has a great voice!

Speaking of which, here’s the Portuguese intro.

I’ma use it!

• I would highly recommend Tigsource over Reddit or something like that.

We’ve been trying to move towards gamers, so honestly we should be using some gamer-centric site like RPS or something, instead of these dev-centric sites. We need gamers to know about us!

• JM

He has declined the interview, so no dice :(

Seriously, you should just stream what you’re doing 24/7. I mean, you just pretty much need to open OBS and you’re done.

That’s a big reason I’m getting a PC, for OBS, more computing power, then I’ll be able to create video content more easily (I hope).

• I’m now on vacation so, I don’t have 2 daily hours of going to and from school and I was thinking “Well, how am I gonna listen to Lostcast now?”. Turns out playing games while listening to podcasts works great, as long as the game doesn’t rely heavily on text or audio.

Yay vacation, enjoy!

• In the past, every time you started to tell repeated stories I was like: “Ok, here’s some exposure for the Loscast newbies”.
      But now that I know that you do it just because you don’t remember…

It’s been a combination, but the survey revealed that most listeners listen to everything, so there’s less of a need to catch folks up.

I don’t know exactly why but I think that one of the factors is that putting some technical knowledge you earned in practice is way easier than using a game design trick you just learned.

Yeah the implementation is interesting because it’s the toughest part. Having an idea is one thing, but it always gets altered in the process of bringing it to reality.

• (41) Loscast/Arrested Development analogy = pure gold

And I just listened to you talking about Crypt Run while walking on the beach…

Great visual, sounds fun!

• Funnily enough, I still think the first 30 cast where the best ones…

Might be because those were super-polished, with almost all gaps/mistakes removed

• Man, I’ve lost the count of how many times people have caught me laughing alone listening to Lostcast. It’s kind of embarassing…

• Hmmm… I like self deprecation as it is now.

Great, cuz we suck, but not too much! looool

• Well, listening to the podcast at higher speeds doesn’t necessarily mean a change in pitch, but even then your voices are gonna be kinda weird.
      Here’s a test.

NEAT

• Thank you… your favorite TV show.

<3

Oh, BTW, the second time Geoff said my name, it was almost right. Matt is almost there too.

So close!

• Tiger Hat

sad face - I’m having trouble getting the podcast on my phone - it says there are no new 'casts on the LDG channel
    sad face

• Penguin

@Josue Aw thanks!! Geoff says I sound angry when I speak Tagalog. Probably because it sounds fast so I tried to slow it down some. Yay for Portuguese intro!

• LDG

• Patron

I just finished listening to episode 100. I’d like to jump in here and thank @richtaur and @geoffb for the shout-out during this great milestone episode.

My favorite part of my shout-out is when Matt described Ragatron as “well done” and “very impressive” and just seemed genuinely pleased to find my software is actually decent. :-)

Despite it being developed with very limited time, I approached Ragatron just like any other professional software project: source control, bug tracking, versioning, testing, installer, etc, and I’m happy you were pleased with the result. Much like you guys mentioned how great it is to get feedback from the surveys, I like getting feedback for my software.

• Tiger Hat

happy face
    my iphone finally decided to check for updates and i have just finished listening! Like @dannagle I’d like to say thanks for the shout out - it’s always a pleasure :)

Now I’m going to read @Josue 's feedback and see if I have anything to add :)

• Patron

Where are those GIFs from?

I need’em.

• Tiger Hat

• LDG

Apparently the problem was with the feed, not your phone! So you can sleep at night now.

• Hey Guys,

I remember this episode being good, but I’ve been working like a mad man to get a project ready for some Client UAT, so I forgot most of it :(

I did remember the shout out though, which I was very excited when I heard it ^_^. You guys are cool cats (err, cat and horse?) and it’s awesome “watching” you two be successful in game development. Also, @richtaur , stop being jealous of me making sourdough bread and just do :P

So I tried to figure out when I found Lostcast on my google search, and the earliest episode that I 100% remember listening to when it came out was episode 20, “OUYA or Ooh, No?”, which came out Jul 22, 2012! Crazy!

This also reminds me of a story. It started somewhere between the end of 2011 and 2012. I was finishing up my Associates Degree in Web & Software development, and as is typical in Wisconsin, it was cold and snowy. I was having fun trying to pre-optimize some code for a JavaScript game that would never see completion.

I thought to myself “If I do this the Java way, like I’m being taught now, I attach a function to each game object. But if every soldier unit attacks the same way, wouldn’t it take less memory to put all those soldier functions into a separate object, and use something like apply() or call() on an object that just has a soldier’s current state?”

And serendipitous as it was, I soon stumbled on an article that taught me for the first time about something you might have heard about. It’s called “Entity, Component System(s)” (Seriously, like maybe a week after my aforementioned thought). It helped me to initially know it was a thing. Shortly after, I found Lostcast, and it wasn’t very long until the episode about Entity Component Systems was released. I really didn’t start to grasp the concept of ECS until listening to @geoffb and @richtaur talk about it in Lostcast.

And I listened to those episodes a lot. Trying to squeeze every bit of information out of it. To the point where I can say, without relistening to it, that one of the episodes starts out with Matt talking about a vacation (Was it Hawaii?) where he read some book with a title related to windows, or mirrors or something. I kept getting annoyed with myself because I always forgot to make note of when the ECS talk began >_<. Either way, I blame my finding of you guys and getting hooked on my initial interest in ECS :P

Anyways, you guys are awesome, and I thought I’d share that interesting bit of my life with you all :)

</Ramblepost>

• Correction, I don’t really know when I started listening, but it was definitely some time between the cryptcasts and that OUYA episode.

Maybe?

• LDG

@Faison said:

I did remember the shout out though, which I was very excited when I heard it ^_^. You guys are cool cats (err, cat and horse?)

I like it! Geoff has his horse thing… maybe I’m a cat??

I was having fun trying to pre-optimize some code for a JavaScript game that would never see completion.

Hahaha de ja vu!

wouldn’t it take less memory to put all those soldier functions into a separate object, and use something like apply() or call() on an object that just has a soldier’s current state?"

Yeah we’ve been leaning towards functional programming in general, much more reusable! And JS makes it easy.

I really didn’t start to grasp the concept of ECS until listening to @geoffb and @richtaur talk about it in Lostcast.

Great to hear! Some stuff is particularly hard to grasp until it’s in a conversational context. And articles tend to be very dry and no-nonsense, making them harder to get through.

Matt talking about a vacation (Was it Hawaii?) where he read some book with a title related to windows, or mirrors

It was probably Hawaii, I go there as often as I can. The book tho, ?? interesting, now I’m curious!

Anyways, you guys are awesome, and I thought I’d share that interesting bit of my life with you all :)

Thanks for sharing, loved reading it! high-five!

Correction, I don’t really know when I started listening
    Maybe?

haha awesome this makes me feel better about always forgetting stuff during the show ;)

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

@Faison said:

Matt talking about a vacation (Was it Hawaii?) where he read some book with a title related to windows, or mirrors

It was probably Hawaii, I go there as often as I can. The book tho, ?? interesting, now I’m curious!

It’s very likely he’s referring to a “Book of Lenses”.

• @Affordable_Desk said:

@richtaur said:

@Faison said:

It’s very likely he’s referring to a “Book of Lenses”.

Yes, that one! I was soooo close! Thanks @Affordable_Desk :)