Alpha 6 notes/suggestions

• Patron

• Have Townsfolk chat (and other msgs) stay longer if they are long - case in point, the first townie.
    • Make exclamation mark townies drop their marks after talking to them
    • I understand it opens up bag of pain, but, I’d really like townsfolk to collide with me
    • Skeletons seems to only use north & south facing sprite. WIP or bug?
    • Now with nerfed dagger, it feels like I’m playing the game for the first time :)
    • Don’t forget the killerPlant projectile, the scoop of vanilla ice cream he currently spits seems out of place… ;)
    • Thumbs up for the goblin twin dagger buff. Both game play wise and game design wise, I love it when enemies utilize the same weapons as me. Makes the world feels more coherent. On that note, there might be more opportunities to give “known” weapons to enemies.
    • I actually thought I myself was breaking the ice by wiggling, until I heard on the podcast it was just a timer! I like the idea of keeping the wiggling for stoning, but then the ice needs more visual cues that it is diminishing. And perhaps cut the time a bit.
    • It feels weird that my projectiles (Arthur’s lance, in case it was weapon specific) collides with the life blocks when I’m dead
    • Big thumbs up for removing death floating, both difficulty wise and also to lessen confusion as to “hey, I’m a ghost, how come this or that can hurt me”. Now it feels more like I am a corporeal creature with an actual “body” of sorts.
    • And speaking of that, another death health name suggestion - “ectoplasm”? That’d also suggest that it is actually a body.
    • Bone piles seem unprecedentedly tough. Nerf health slightly?
    • Make eyeballs glow red?
    • I know we discussed it previously, but I’m still not a fan of having to kill Zora to open the doors. In some rooms this is really confusing/frustrating.
    • Nice new dark zora graphics! And the shorter projectile length feels much better, if I may say so myself.
    • The dark mushroom, having very dark colours, becomes almost invisible from the light realm, and looks a bit weird when you do notice it. No biggie.
    • Now that dark zora has his own graphics, him having the exact same behaviour as light zora feels a bit cheap. Maybe have him travel a short bit before diving, to make him feel a bit different. Would also constitute a slight nerf, but he’s tough enough to take it.
    • Another idea to differentiate him - to underline his megaspray attack, make him breathe in first by showing some “wind” artifacts enter his mouth
    • Should spiderwebs really have the slight glow? It makes some rooms look very busy.
    • Bug: blood key now looks like ring with green stone
    • Bravo on adding expensive health potions. Gold sink like you said, and seems to work well game play wise.
    • Floor slime graphics need polish, it feels really weird that each tile with slime is a perfect square.
    • Curveball: sometimes when dying, you’ll enter RotD in such a situation that you’ll pretty much immediately die again. I’d like there to be an option where I can spend health (uh, I mean ectoplasm) to perform a very strong area effect attack. Would require careful thinking to use efficiently. Hmm, although might be open to abuse through pentacle.

• Patron

• Idea to make pentacle less accessible in Crypt: change pentacle sprite to have a lit candle in each corner. In the crypt (and partly in sewer?) the candles have to be collected first, in order to activate it.
    • Far out idea: have blood spatter affect me as ghost. Slight health gain?

• Patron

• Related to previous Indie Speed Run discussions about putting the best foot forward and not hiding good content 10 hours into the game; make both sewer and crypt accessible from the Town, and put the locked door one (or a few) room into the dungeons. That way the player get a preview taste of what’s to come, and might be more inclined to keep playing.

• Patron

• Exclamation mark needs glow, it looks weird when it is half-hidden in the shadows.
    • Podcast Lead boot quest idea idea - make them allow walking on lava
    • Tombstone readability cue - we previously discussed making all tombstones readable, but I don’t think that’ll be enough, the graveyard tombstones really need their own cue. Perhaps the text could glow?
    • It feels like lantern glow boost is lost at some point. Perhaps after returning from RotD?
    • Hey - daggers still seem to do 10 damage?

• Patron

• Being ever so slightly healed by “picking up” blood spatter when dead would neatly balance previous suggestion of not being able to eat food when dead
    • Humanoid enemies spawning skeletons is thematically great, and also adds dimension to RotD combat - I have to take care even when killing a mere zombie, as he might become a fast moving skeleton! Neat!
    • Magic boomerang: having it travel farther does not make it strictly better than normal boomerang, as I am now without attack for a longer period of time. I suggest allowing 2 magic boomerangs at a time.
    • Arthur’s lance is so strong, I can’t see myself not getting it. Having to die to get it is a very minor penalty, as I am very likely to kill myself anyway to get green key and/or use pentacle to heal.
    • Werewolf charge should be able to pass over holes in cemetery.
    • Sometimes RotD filter doesn’t clear when I respawn at pentacle (but will be ok for next room)

• Patron

• Now that ghost isn’t floating, this room doesn’t make much sense

• Patron

• In menus, when I have a toggle option highlighted, let me toggle also with left and right, not just interact.

• Patron

• Crypt is goddamn hard! Maybe make the rooms slightly bigger in general? Feels like I need more wiggle room to be able to play efficiently, some rooms now just feel unfair; small and packed with monsters. Also, big airy rooms would make the crypt distinctly different from sewer.

• Patron

• In some rooms it becomes very weird that barrels and jars doesn’t stop enemy projectiles (for example when battling grave robbers and goblins in a room with lots of barrels)
    • Perhaps add more bones to the bone pile, making it seem more pily?
    • Muck monsters shouldn’t be allowed to land in slime
    • Allow scrolling around on minimap, perhaps by using arrow keys while depressing “m”. Or have fullsize minimap on upcoming detailed pause screen.
    • Trident cyclops just seem too mean. Perhaps only let his weapon bounce once? In certain rooms it is almost impossible to avoid taking damage.

• Patron

• spikeTraps should collide with the stationary spikes.

• Patron

• Patron

• Make it so axes ricochet in the direction you’re pointing at.
      I mean, if I press down and left, the axe goes up and left, not up and right.

• Patron

• With current RotD lighting effect, torches are slightly dimmer than their surroundings, in effect shining darkness. This is a rather cool effect, perhaps enhance it by making the darkness more profound? (which game engine wise I guess entails increasing their glow)
    • Don’t let decorative slime stain the pentacle
    • Have I gotten better or have you nerfed muckMonsters somehow? They seem pretty harmless these days, I used to really fear them
    • Ghost doesn’t always clear upon revive
    • Not sure if it is fix-worthy, but sometimes arrow traps are rather stupidly placed
    • Make enraged cyclops calm down after a while, can be useful in situations like this
    • Another example of a small crowded crypt room. Perhaps give some enemies conditions that have to be fulfilled in order to spawn, something like maximum monster/square in the room already.

• LDG

• Have Townsfolk chat (and other msgs) stay longer if they are long - case in point, the first townie.

On the list! That dialog needs lots of polish. I’m thinking that the dialog won’t fade until the player moves or something.

• Make exclamation mark townies drop their marks after talking to them

Good suggestion. Filed a task!

• I understand it opens up bag of pain, but, I’d really like townsfolk to collide with me

It might not be a huge pain. I recently revamped the collision system to be more flexible when it comes to which entities are considered solid.

Probably a bug. The animation frames exist for every direction.

• Now with nerfed dagger, it feels like I’m playing the game for the first time :)

That’s good! Right? :P

• Don’t forget the killerPlant projectile, the scoop of vanilla ice cream he currently spits seems out of place… ;)

There’s a new graphic coming in Alpha 7!

• Thumbs up for the goblin twin dagger buff. Both game play wise and game design wise, I love it when enemies utilize the same weapons as me. Makes the world feels more coherent. On that note, there might be more opportunities to give “known” weapons to enemies.

Glad you like it. It would be fun to give more player weapons to enemies. In Onslaught! Arena we had a boss, Doppelganger, who utilized the player’s entire arsenal.

• I actually thought I myself was breaking the ice by wiggling, until I heard on the podcast it was just a timer! I like the idea of keeping the wiggling for stoning, but then the ice needs more visual cues that it is diminishing. And perhaps cut the time a bit.

Noted! Ice could probably use a nerf since it shows up so early in game. It’d be a good intro to petrify later on in the Crypt (which would last longer and/or be escapable via input mashing).

• It feels weird that my projectiles (Arthur’s lance, in case it was weapon specific) collides with the life blocks when I’m dead

Not weapon specific, but that’s a bug.

• Big thumbs up for removing death floating, both difficulty wise and also to lessen confusion as to “hey, I’m a ghost, how come this or that can hurt me”. Now it feels more like I am a corporeal creature with an actual “body” of sorts.

Cool! Best one line change ever :)

• And speaking of that, another death health name suggestion - “ectoplasm”? That’d also suggest that it is actually a body.

Oh, I like that. Also, Ghostbusters.

• Bone piles seem unprecedentedly tough. Nerf health slightly?

Matt said the same thing. I was leaning towards them staying around longer to spit out more skellies. Guess I’m overruled!

• Make eyeballs glow red?

Maybe they use Clear Eyes? Noted!

• I know we discussed it previously, but I’m still not a fan of having to kill Zora to open the doors. In some rooms this is really confusing/frustrating.

Yeah, it can feel like the game is broken when he’s submerged and the doors are closed. What do you think about the doors closing while he’s up and not while he’s submerged? My fear is that it would be annoying to be running for a door only to have it slam in your face when he surfaces. The other option is just to turn off the door flag for him completely.

• Nice new dark zora graphics! And the shorter projectile length feels much better, if I may say so myself.

Awesome, I like them as well! I’m wondering if the projectiles would be cooler as an arc vs chaos, though.

• The dark mushroom, having very dark colours, becomes almost invisible from the light realm, and looks a bit weird when you do notice it. No biggie.

Yeah, we have a ticket to make it not collide with the light player as it can be hard to see what’s blocking your path. I believe that Matt is working on the graphic in general, though.

• Now that dark zora has his own graphics, him having the exact same behaviour as light zora feels a bit cheap. Maybe have him travel a short bit before diving, to make him feel a bit different. Would also constitute a slight nerf, but he’s tough enough to take it.

Good suggestion, noted!

• Another idea to differentiate him - to underline his megaspray attack, make him breathe in first by showing some “wind” artifacts enter his mouth

That sounds cool! And particles are easy-peasy.

• Should spiderwebs really have the slight glow? It makes some rooms look very busy.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Since the webs don’t do damage I think it’d be fine to unlight them.

• Bug: blood key now looks like ring with green stone

Oops! Filed a bug!

• Bravo on adding expensive health potions. Gold sink like you said, and seems to work well game play wise.

Excellent!

• Floor slime graphics need polish, it feels really weird that each tile with slime is a perfect square.

Yep, we’ve got a task to do some edging work on those tiles. It’s just been lower priority than other stuff.

• Curveball: sometimes when dying, you’ll enter RotD in such a situation that you’ll pretty much immediately die again. I’d like there to be an option where I can spend health (uh, I mean ectoplasm) to perform a very strong area effect attack. Would require careful thinking to use efficiently. Hmm, although might be open to abuse through pentacle.

That sounds pretty cool. We definitely don’t want deaths to feel cheap. We did add a momentary “grace” period after dying, but it sounds like we should revisit that transition. I’d loooooove to add some cooler secondary attacks as well. We’ll see if it’s in the cards.

• LDG

• Idea to make pentacle less accessible in Crypt: change pentacle sprite to have a lit candle in each corner. In the crypt (and partly in sewer?) the candles have to be collected first, in order to activate it.

Oh man, that sounds awesome! We are going to start by moving the pentacle rooms to dead-ends or deep within the dungeon in the Sewer and Crypt. That should be make them a bit harder to deal with.

• Far out idea: have blood spatter affect me as ghost. Slight health gain?

We created the blood splatters as game entities for precisely this reason! Been mulling over how to work it in to the game design. Speluuuuuunky!

• LDG

• Related to previous Indie Speed Run discussions about putting the best foot forward and not hiding good content 10 hours into the game; make both sewer and crypt accessible from the Town, and put the locked door one (or a few) room into the dungeons. That way the player get a preview taste of what’s to come, and might be more inclined to keep playing.

That’s a reaaaally good idea. Would take a little work to implement due to having to return the player to town somehow after they got a few rooms in. I guess it might be easy to drop a town exit in there. We’ll discuss!

• LDG

• Exclamation mark needs glow, it looks weird when it is half-hidden in the shadows.

+1

• Podcast Lead boot quest idea idea - make them allow walking on lava

I like that, too!

• Tombstone readability cue - we previously discussed making all tombstones readable, but I don’t think that’ll be enough, the graveyard tombstones really need their own cue. Perhaps the text could glow?

Agreed, they don’t feel/seem special atm. I would like to add random text to all the graves, actually.

• It feels like lantern glow boost is lost at some point. Perhaps after returning from RotD?

Hmm, possible. I’ll file a bug.

• Hey - daggers still seem to do 10 damage?

Oh, I guess they do. I thought we nerfed those…

• LDG

• Being ever so slightly healed by “picking up” blood spatter when dead would neatly balance previous suggestion of not being able to eat food when dead

Agreed!

• Humanoid enemies spawning skeletons is thematically great, and also adds dimension to RotD combat - I have to take care even when killing a mere zombie, as he might become a fast moving skeleton! Neat!

Glad you like that! Matt’s been pushing hard for that feature.

• Magic boomerang: having it travel farther does not make it strictly better than normal boomerang, as I am now without attack for a longer period of time. I suggest allowing 2 magic boomerangs at a time.

Good suggestion. It also does more damage, IIRC.

• Arthur’s lance is so strong, I can’t see myself not getting it. Having to die to get it is a very minor penalty, as I am very likely to kill myself anyway to get green key and/or use pentacle to heal.

Noted. Perhaps it should be less awesome. Our plan is to have it be really strong against a certain enemy later on.

• Werewolf charge should be able to pass over holes in cemetery.

I thought that was already the case. Maybe it’s bugged. Or my memory is.

Yeah, that’s a bug :(

• LDG

• Now that ghost isn’t floating, this room doesn’t make much sense

It doesn’t. BUT! There’s an item that can help with that! However, we’ll need to make that chest contain something awesome as the feather is hard (rare) to get.

• LDG

• In menus, when I have a toggle option highlighted, let me toggle also with left and right, not just interact.

Noted!

• LDG

• Crypt is goddamn hard! Maybe make the rooms slightly bigger in general? Feels like I need more wiggle room to be able to play efficiently, some rooms now just feel unfair; small and packed with monsters. Also, big airy rooms would make the crypt distinctly different from sewer.

Right now we’re basically just shoving in content to the Crypt. It’ll get some layout and room composition love really soon!