Lostcast 93: Lizardization

• Patron

How about that. @richtaur is testing the waters with C++! Makefile is indeed awesome. I also enjoyed hearing @geoffb adventures in JavaScript optimization. Maybe he could tell me why my HTML5 games run like garbage on Android unless I send them to CocoonJS.

As for C++, I wrote http://PacketSender.com/ and http://Ragatron.com/ in C++. I compiled the Windows version using MInGW. I did not launch Visual Studio nor does my installer require bundling the VC++ redistributable (which is required if you compile using the Visual Studio compiler). My tools can be installed and ran all the way back to a fresh install of Win XP SP2. Anyway, that is a long-winded way of saying MinGW is a good choice.

You gave a brief mention of Cygwin. It has an extremely nice Linux-like shell available for Windows. Beyond general development use, I recommend avoiding bundling it in to an end-user product unless you want to open source your software. Cygwin uses the very restrictive GNU GPL version 3.

• LDG

Cool yeah I enjoyed MinGW but couldn’t get the linker to find SDL. I used Cygwin a lot back when I used to use Windows as my primary dev machine. It’s great and useful and all that, just dog slow (at least it was many years ago). Having access to bash is worth it tho!

• Patron

• What version is Djinn at again?

• Geoff mentioned that array performance on Wii U is pretty bad. Using Typed Arrays wouldn’t help with that? Of course, not the easiest change to make, but…

• I always wondered what that exclamation sign on the profiler was about…

• Matt has mentioned quite a few times that the CSS property for nearest neighbour scaling doesn’t work under Chrome. But doesn’t this have the exactly same result?

• This is how to pronounce Holowka.

• When is that optimized version of AWL landing on Steam? Maybe I’ll finally be able to play it decently on my PC?

• Has AWL paid for itself yet?

• LDG

@Josue said:

• What version is Djinn at again?

We quit keeping track a while ago. 2 something…

• Geoff mentioned that array performance on Wii U is pretty bad. Using Typed Arrays wouldn’t help with that? Of course, not the easiest change to make, but…

I don’t think we know enough yet to really confirm that; my hunch is that it’s other things causing the slowness.

• Matt has mentioned quite a few times that the CSS property for nearest neighbour scaling doesn’t work under Chrome. But doesn’t this have the exactly same result?

Djinn takes the size we give it (e.g. AWL is 960x640) and scales the canvas up to meet the document size. Drawing the images at various scales using canvas would work, but it’s not how our engine does it. Would be nontrivial to change how that works and I’m not sure if it would increase speed.

• When is that optimized version of AWL landing on Steam? Maybe I’ll finally be able to play it decently on my PC?

Pretty soon! Hopefully it’ll be a bit faster, but it seems to depend on the platform. In the current batch of improvements, I haven’t seen big gains in Chrome.

That’s an interesting question! The short answer is no. Maybe we’ll talk this out on the next show, could be fun.

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Cool yeah I enjoyed MinGW but couldn’t get the linker to find SDL.

Linking is a painful problem with C++. You will need to fix all those linking problems again when you compile on another platform (like Mac and Linux).

@richtaur said:

@Josue said:

That’s an interesting question! The short answer is no.

OUCH.

Good ole LDG, serving up an ice cold glass of disappointment. This is why I gave up game dev and started writing utilities.

• Patron

@dannagle said:

This is why I gave up game dev and started writing utilities.

Responding to my own post… none of my apps have paid for themselves either. All they really do is keep my skills sharp to keep me employed.