Ragatron: Unofficial A Wizard’s Lizard Hacking

• Patron

Get it here:
    http://dannagle.com/ragatron/

Ragatron Screenshot

It based on this conversation:
    http://forum.lostdecadegames.com/topic/284/cheat-engine

And with Geoff’s semi-endorement: ("Absolutely agreed. You bought it, it’s yours. ").

The bottom-line:

1. Windows version only.

2. It MUST be version 2014-07-04 from the Humble store. It will verify the checksum.

3. I will not build this tool to hack the Steam or any other multiplayer version of this game.

Here is how to use it:
    Step 1: Tell Ragatron the directory you have WizardsLizard installed.

It will suggest looking in “Program Files” under LostDecadeGames. Select WizardsLizard, and you are good to go. Ragatron will never modify this directory.

Step 2: Tell Ragatron your unpack directory.

Ragatron will suggest creating a subdirectory if it this directory is not blank.

Step 3: Unpack Wizard’s Lizard.

Ragatron will unpack the contents and give you the “media” directory for you to hack the assets as you please. The more sensitive files (such as the minified engine source code) stay hidden (but the savvy user can get still get to it).

Step 4: Tell what cheats you want to enable.

Ragatron comes with various cheats that you can enable with checkboxes. These are just ones that I dreamed up. I can add more if there is interest in this tool.

Step 5: Repack Wizard’s Lizard

Ragatron will create a freshly-packed WizardsLizardHacked.exe for your enjoyment and ask if you wish to launch the game. This auto-launch does not see to want to work with WinXP (works on Win7 though). You can always navigate to the unpack directory to launch.

One of these cheats is “Developer Mode” that exposes the engine. Look at the temporary index.html in the address bar. Hack that file and hit reload to see your changes. This particular hacking session will stay active until you close the game. It will then revert to your last repacked version.

I thought really hard about keeping this feature hidden, but I decided that if you are so inclined to start digging through minified JavaScript source code, I don’t want to hold you back.

Enjoy.

• Penguin

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Imgur

Your move, @Affordable_Desk

(btw, @geoffb did all the work, teewai <3 )

• LDG

Nice work, @dannagle! I can see players having a lot of fun with this.

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

Your move, @Affordable_Desk

(btw, @geoffb did all the work, teewai <3 )

It should be easy enough to replace Raga with the already included desk sprite

• Patron

The next task for the hacking tool was an “export” feature to detect what sprites were changed, and then package those up for you. That would allow easy sharing of image mods. I’d also would’ve liked to add more cheats.

But… this weekend hackathon to write this tool spilled in to Monday. I don’t have another spare day for this, so I stopped and published what I had so far. I’m sure @geoffb and @richtaur knows all about the balance of creating features, fixing bugs, and the need to actually shove the non-perfect product out the door.

@Macaronee
    Glad you like it.

• Penguin

@Elite said:

Sure, but HOW BIG will he go?

Will he use an actual desk as Raga? Will he use his Scotsman avatar as soul orbs or weapons? Will he make Death into a Macaronee and have her animate cupcakes to attack you? Will he make a video trying to kill Macaronee and end up taking too much damage from all the sugar and FAIL?

See, now the world will never know. Because now he would be TOO predictable!!

• Penguin

@dannagle said:

@Macaronee
    Glad you like it.

Two flippers up! And I mean the penguin kind!

• Patron

Well, @geoffb and @richtaur have not banned me yet for publishing a hacking tool for their game. In fact, I got the opposite reaction. They seem to be very supportive.

I’ll post some server stats after a few days.

• LDG

Our team of sleeping kitty lawyers are lining up…!

• Patron

As promised, here are some stats.

Analyzing server logs is not an exact science, so all these number are best estimates. I removed all traffic that originated from my IP addresses since that was me testing.

Total downloads: 15

15 over 5 days is actually a good number for a utility with zero advertising and an extremely narrow purpose.

Countries:
    USA
    (FYI, these are our 3 most populous states)
    -California: 5
    -Texas:4
    -New York: 4

Australia: 1
    Russia: 1

Best day: The day after I posted this thread.

Worst days: Zero downloads Thursday and Friday. I guess everybody already had a copy?

That’s good enough news for me to update it again when @geoffb and @richtaur releases a new version that causes my MD5 checksum calculation to break. Lava Blade support is now on the to-do (mwah ha ha ha).

Happy hacking,
    Dan

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

@Elite said:

Sure, but HOW BIG will he go?

Will he use an actual desk as Raga? Will he use his Scotsman avatar as soul orbs or weapons? Will he make Death into a Macaronee and have her animate cupcakes to attack you? Will he make a video trying to kill Macaronee and end up taking too much damage from all the sugar and FAIL?

See, now the world will never know. Because now he would be TOO predictable!!

Ah, but Desk would add in proper animations. I bet your penguin just slides around.

• This could be the start of a Steam-Community-HUB Project…

• Patron

@Sdric said:

This could be the start of a Steam-Community-HUB Project…

I have no qualms about tearing the Humble Bundle version to shreds, but this tool will intentionally not support Steam or Multiplayer hacking. That’s the official stance I got from @geoffb . Anyway, with that, if you have cool mods you’d like rolled in to the next update to Ragatron, feel free to send them my way.

• Patron

Ragatron has been updated to support Lava Blade!

Thread opened at “General LDG”:
    http://forum.lostdecadegames.com/topic/303/ragatron-supports-both-wizard-s-lizard-and-lava-blade