Hearthstone

• LDG

So, I was chatting with @Elite on Battle.net and he was using lots of terms of which I had no clue. I’ve beaten the available Naxx solo campaign and played quite a few casual games. I’m starting to get into ranked matches so I wanted some advice about how to run my decks.

I’m currently playing Mage and Hunter decks. My Mage deck has mostly nukes and secrets, with +spell minions and small taunters like Mirror Image to keep things off me. My Hunter deck also has a few secrets and nukes (Multi-Shot, etc), but mostly beasts that synergize (the rhino, vulture, hyenas, etc).

Anyway, just looking for some general advice on deck building and/or Hearthstone talk!

If you’re not playing Hearthstone, you should! It’s fun and free. :)

• Tiger Hat

Hearthstone is a great game (cough cough @Affordable_Desk) and I’ll be sure to make a lengthy post about some of the commonly used terms when referring to the meta and CCGs themselves soon.

• Tiger Hat

@Elite said:

Hearthstone is a great game (cough cough @Affordable_Desk)

BAM!

Well I bet you and @geoffb feel pretty silly now eh??

• Tiger Hat

@Affordable_Desk said:

@Elite said:

Hearthstone is a great game (cough cough @Affordable_Desk)

BAM!

Well I bet you and @geoffb feel pretty silly now eh??

How amateur. You didn’t explain any mechanics, lingo, or provide critique. I’m working on something now that will blow your pirate “game” out of the water.

• Tiger Hat

Not sure how much advice I have on Hearthstone. My best advice as a poor indie dev is just to do Arena and Play for dailies and never pay for cards. Unfortunately now instead of arena I’m spending all my time trying to save up for the single player content which I’m really really enjoying.

But I enjoyed hearing about your thoughts/complaints about the MTG mana system and this enthusiastic podcast from one of the designers came to mind:
    http://media.wizards.com/podcasts/magic/drivetowork24Mana_3of3haho5u.mp3

He does a lot of reaching IMO but there are some interesting points:

• Gives players hope to beat better players
    • Gives a leg up for better players who understand the system
    • Creates drama, suspense, and surprise
    • Allows changing gameplay by changing card value (1 costs are really good on first turn, not so much later)
    • People reading is interesting
    • Each color has its own kind of mana that players need to choose between

In the end I totally agree with you. I’d choose Hearthstone’s mana system in a heartbeat.