Post your first games!

• LDG

“First” is nebulous, I know. The learning process for making games is long and full of questionable output. Also, what makes a “game” is subjective! So if you don’t know your “first” that’s fine just post something very early in your process. You could also have different categories of firsts! Like this:

First QBASIC RPG: DRAGON (hit space a few times and type in your name to get started)
    First “HTML5” game (DOM-based): Spacius!

• LDG

I made a whole bunch of QBasic games during middle/high school which are lost now in the sea of time. :(

Here’s an early JavaScript/DOM game, Shapes (source on GitHub). It’s a Geometry Wars-like, and was the conceptual ancestor to the Onslaught! code. Also, the source of “reload the page to play again” which @richtaur really digs.

• Ah yes I’m well aware of both of these actually, remember I was doing a collectable card game based on the LDG IP called “Algebra Explorer: The Game”?

I made a OneNote document that I typed all of the card descriptions into, there was a couple of hundred or something, Shapes and Spacius are #221 and #223 respectively, screenshot of my OneNote to prove it.

My OneNote

• Tiger Hat

I made an RPG using Microsoft Powerpoint and a few text based choice games and even 21 in Java, but those are all lost in another time, another space.

• Tiger Hat

@Elite said:

I made an RPG using Microsoft Powerpoint

How did it work?

• LDG

• And Geoff was like "wuuuuut??". And I was all like "wuuuut???" It was Crazy man

• Tiger Hat

@Affordable_Desk
    It was more like a choose your own adventure than anything. It utilized slide jumping, button features, and well thought out slides to create the illusion of a game. I also made animations with PowerPoint as well!

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

First QBASIC RPG: DRAGON (hit space a few times and type in your name to get started)

Man seeing this again made me check up on Black Annex which still isn’t out believe it or not, website says this year.

I quite enjoyed that actually! But I got stuck on the final boss. Were those the tiles your brother did?

• Patron

Well, the first interactive thingies I made were probably some Game Maker experiments.

I quickly gave up on it, as I found it to be too limiting.

After that, I heard about Game Salad which seemed to be the ideal tool for me: no coding required, yet very powerful. But it was Mac only at the time…

After much search, I found Stencyl, which was very similar to Game Salad, but multiplatform.

I made lots of crappy interactive thingies with it, but I don’t recall exactly the order in which I made them. Also, I don’t have the source files nor builds of most of them anymore, as they were in a HDD which died.

The first game I finished was called I.C.D.P (I can desintegrate people, previously called I.H.A.L.G (I doubt you can guess what that stands for)).

It was online on Newgrounds for a long time, but I decided to take it down after some friends started making fun of how crappy it was.

It was basically a game where you were a mad doctor shooting people from a ship with your desintegration gun.

It had the very basic flaw of allowing you to shoot at every frame (I thought that was just because my mouse was crazy). In total, it received about 700 views and one very negative but fair review.

Unfortunately, I don’t have it’s files anymore… Such a pity you can’t appreciate my bad pixel art in action…

The earliest thing I have to show you is this (arrow keys + space + x). I was basically trying to make a Lone Survivor of my own.

Of course, I dropped that project, because thats what I do.

After that, I tried Flixel, Flashpunk and even Panda3D (as I thought I knew Python because I had made a couple of basic tutorials)!

Finally, my uncle told me about HTML5. I asked him where could I find HTML5 programming tutorials, and he showed me Codeacademy (which is great, BTW).

So, after doing most of the lessons on Codeacademy and reading some canvas tutorials, I finally thought I was ready to make something.

The first HTML5 thingy I made was probably just a square which moved on the screen when you pressed the arrow keys.

Then, I started to make a Space Invaders clone (arrow keys + ctrl). I sent a prototype built to my uncle. His first reaction was something like “Wow! Did you write that all by yourself or did you copy-paste it from somewhere?” (it was like two weeks after he linked me to Codeacademy). It was so gratifying!

After that, I spent a lot of time trying to make a platformer, but I just couldn’t figure out how to make collisions work properly.

And then… I don’t remember exactly what happened… What I know is that I found about Lostcast around that time and that all those experiments gave me the experience needed to make slightly less crappy things like Fragment and Funil.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

Funil.

Game of the year! Just spent 30 minutes trying to top my last high score, still can’t do it.

• Penguin

@richtaur said:

if you don’t know your “first” that’s fine

I laughed.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

I.H.A.L.G (I doubt you can guess what that stands for)).

I Have A Laser Gun

What do I win?

• @geoffb said:

I made a whole bunch of QBasic games during middle/high school which are lost now in the sea of time. :(

You managed to bring ancient recordings back to life, maybe you can do the same with those games! :P

• @Elite said:

@Affordable_Desk
    It was more like a choose your own adventure than anything. It utilized slide jumping, button features, and well thought out slides to create the illusion of a game. I also made animations with PowerPoint as well!

I did those too!! *high five*
    I stopped making them only when I was taught my first programming language (Visual Basic) haha

• Tiger Hat

On my side, the first game I ever made was never truly completed or posted. But basically, it was far too ambitious, had silly lore, an overdose of crossovers (even by the standarts of my joke games and that one wasn’t a joke game!), was generally a pretty crazy experiment that went nowhere and mostly served to frustrate me.

Then I tried to work with flash and got frustrated while trying to make a shoot-em-up and then later, a game where you had to do nothing or else, you failed. Yeah… those games were pretty much giant failures one after another.

I eventually got better, though (I posted on this site links to several of my completed freeware joke games).

• @Josue said:

The earliest thing I have to show you is this (arrow keys + space + x). I was basically trying to make a Lone Survivor of my own.

Hahaha! I hope I don’t sound like the friends who made fun of your game, but I laughed when I realized that what I thought was gun recoil was actually bullets ricocheting and hitting me! XD

• @Elite said:

@Josue said:

I.H.A.L.G (I doubt you can guess what that stands for)).

I Have A Laser Gun

Ohh, I thought it was “I Have A Large Gun” haha

• The earliest games that I remembered making were using the StarCraft Campaign Editor!
    Most of them were story games, but I remember making a survival RPG where you lived on a damaged ship, and had to maintain it while waves of aliens spawned every day!
    That description makes it sound more fun than it actually was, though haha
    Ah, the memories…

• Tiger Hat

@Mew said:

Then I tried to work with flash and got frustrated while trying to make a shoot-em-up and then later, a game where you had to do nothing or else, you failed. Yeah… those games were pretty much giant failures one after another.

Actually I wouldn’t feel too bad about the do nothing or fail concept, someone did that and charged money for it. I know I bought a copy in a bundle, it was called “Don’t Move”, I think it’s also on Newgrounds. Checking…done

And someone had better play it, I had to sit through the following to check it was the right game.

It's just so inspiring......

FAO BIRDSEYE: I don’t represent the opinions of Lost Decade Games, it’s employees or customers. Thank you.

• Tiger Hat

@ken said:

but I remember making a survival RPG where you lived on a damaged ship, and had to maintain it while waves of aliens spawned every day!

Stealing this, but ship as in boat and it’s taking on water and sinking, also I’m going to make it really arty so I get good reviews, I’ll call it…“Tobias loved his garden”. Tobias can be the Captain trying to get home to his garden one more time and the game is intercut with memory scenes in which he walks through his garden and dealing with his frustrations saying things like “why can’t I remember their smell?!”.

Now all I have to do is choose between making it a good game or making it in RPG Maker…Hey I got RPG Maker in a bundle!!