Tiger Hat Time: Mystery Upcoming Game Q3 2014

• Tiger Hat Time!
    Post opinions and ideas about LDG’s upcoming game that nobody has seen yet!

Clues that have been “leaked” to us:

MUG shots

• LDG

Also, we’ve bought the domain name!

• Banjomoney.com? They stole my idea!! Dammit.

• I came up with “buttmonkey.com”, but I don’t think that’s it…

• BlairFairy.com” sounds like something I would play. :P

• LDG

Buttmonkey starring Buttmonkey the Baboon!!! Totally nailed it.

• Tiger Hat

Will it too have a KickStarter?

• Patron

Well, I really hope the new game will be a platformer, but, as @Affordable_Desk pointed out in our conversations, if LDG started making a platformer, it would turn out as a flight simulator…

We came to the conclusion that the LDG way of making a platformer is by making a turn-based strategy RPG.

So, let Lava Blade 2 begin!

• LDG

@Elite said:

Will it too have a KickStarter?

That’s a gooooood question. I think we’re leaning away from Kickstarter this time around. That said, it’s something to be noisy about and can increase the audience.

• @Josue said:

Well, I really hope the new game will be a platformer, but, as @Affordable_Desk pointed out in our conversations, if LDG started making a platformer, it would turn out as a flight simulator…

We came to the conclusion that the LDG way of making a platformer is by making a turn-based strategy RPG.

So, let Lava Blade 2 begin!

Based on one of the MUG shots, it looks like they’re going for the same perspective as AWL. Is it called 2.5D? I’m not sure haha

Also, judging by the way they described the AI behavior, it’s probably going to be real-time, not turn-based.

• LDG

2.5D = 2d gameplay but in a 3d environment (examples: Bionic Command: Rearmed, Trine) and Djinn is 2d so it won’t be that!

Here’s (probably) our process:

1. Slow-follow a hit indie game with an inferior clone (let’s pick… Braid. BraidCloneBaby.com!)
    2. Scrap the complex behavior code Geoff’s been working on for three months
    3. Scrap the 15 complete sprite sheets I made
    4. Redesign as a turn-based spacetime fighter (WTF IS THAT??)
    5. Scrap the whole thing and make a mobile Haunted Hayride Simulator

Best process ever!

• Patron

@ken said:

Based on one of the MUG shots, it looks like they’re going for the same perspective as AWL.

Which is the same perspective as in Lava Blade.

Also, judging by the way they described the AI behavior, it’s probably going to be real-time, not turn-based.

But behaviour trees can also be used for turn-based games…

• Patron

@richtaur said:

1. Redesign as a turn-based spacetime fighter (WTF IS THAT??)

Like Steambirds but with sci-fi thematics and time travelling???

shutup

• @Josue said:

Which is the same perspective as in Lava Blade.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the scrapped 2D platformer version of Lava Blade haha

• @richtaur said:

2.5D = 2d gameplay but in a 3d environment (examples: Bionic Command: Rearmed, Trine) and Djinn is 2d so it won’t be that!

Here’s what I read on Wikipedia:

used to describe either 2D graphical projections and similar techniques used to cause a series of images (or scenes) to simulate the appearance of being three-dimensional (3D) when in fact they are not, or
    gameplay in an otherwise three-dimensional video game that is restricted to a two-dimensional plane.

Did I understand it wrong, or do you disagree with the first definition?

• Updated the clues!

• Tiger Hat

@ken said:

Updated the clues!

Only thing I know for sure is, whoever figures this out will be extremely attractive and totally awesome.

• LDG

@ken said:

Did I understand it wrong, or do you disagree with the first definition?

The first definition is fine but I haven’t heard of 2.5d used that way. Games like DOOM that create a 3d experience in a 2d environment, I’ve heard that called pseudo-3d. The second definition of “a three-dimensional video game that is restricted to a two-dimensional plane” to me is spot-on for 2.5d.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

The first definition is fine but I haven’t heard of 2.5d used that way. Games like DOOM that create a 3d experience in a 2d environment, I’ve heard that called pseudo-3d. The second definition of “a three-dimensional video game that is restricted to a two-dimensional plane” to me is spot-on for 2.5d.

Basically how I see it too.
    Also a game that’s 2.5d to me has always been described more or less 3d achieved with 2d or 2d achieved with 3d.
    Clearly another overused definition I guess.
    Kirby 64: the Crystal Shards.
    Super Street Fighter IV.
    Trine.
    Arc the Lad III
    Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
    Bionic Commando Rearmed
    You can see all of these on the Wikipedia list of 2.5d games it’s crazy how bloated the definition is.

• @richtaur said:

@Affordable_Desk said:

Basically how I see it too.
    Also a game that’s 2.5d to me has always been described more or less 3d achieved with 2d or 2d achieved with 3d.

I see, I see! Then what’s what do you consider the proper term for graphics like

@Affordable_Desk said:

Clearly another overused definition I guess.

Yeah, it’s starting to seem like it! This is probably why we use games to describe other games (“It’s like Game X but with…”).