My Two Cents

• First off, I just wanted to say that I got this game on Steam a few days back, and I’m currently in love with it. It’s very fun to play, it doesn’t pull an ‘I Wanna Be the Guy’ on me when I inevitably fail, and you guys seriously need to consider making a Raga plushie.

I can’t really make any comments on how well the game runs, except that you would really be in trouble if it didn’t run well on a GeForce GTX 780 TI, an Intel i5 2500K and eight gigabytes of RAM. The only time my framerate actually drops is when I’m setting off a roomful of exploding barrels at once.

Regarding gameplay, it’s fun, but I’ve noticed that I almost never use either the totem powers or the soul orbs. I don’t know if it is just a matter of how I personally play the game, but with the few times I was desperate enough to use them, I didn’t find them as useful as they probably should be, and I tend to skim those items over in my search for loot that buffs health and attack damage. That I can increase my starting gold and bring back blueprints for new stuff at the starting village is pretty much a godsend, although it gets a little iffy when I can’t tell what differentiates wearable items until I’ve either picked them up or hauled caboose to the Hall of Pack-Rat Collectibles. But then again, it doesn’t become so much of a problem after a few playthroughs when you’ve already figured out what you’re going to want on your next dungeon run. I’ve also quickly learned to loathe certain enemies and traps in this game with a fiery passion. It’s like in Serious Sam - you easily figure out which type of monster is going to be the first on the list of brutal omnicide.

This is just a small personal suggestion, but I think that it would be a nice touch if, whenever Raga dies and becomes a ghost, his body stays in the level until the player either leaves for the next level or finds a resurrection circle. As it is, his corpse fades away so quickly that it took me a while to even notice that he left a body behind - I was initially left with the impression that his body simply took on a ghostly form, rather than the obvious. And I haven’t played far enough to have unlocked any characters, but when you choose someone else, does Raga appear in Amberfall as an NPC? Or do any of those characters show up in Amberfall after you’ve unlocked them?

And one last question; Someone else on this forum had suggested giving Raga extra animations (idle animations, death anims, etc), and went as far as making his own sprite sheets as a demonstration. Do you plan on doing anything of the sort somewhere down the road, in the near or far future? Because again, little atmospheric touches tend to go a long way.

In general, AWL is a great way to kill an hour or two in its current state, with pretty solid gameplay and a very memorable protagonist (Raga plushies: MAKE IT SO), and I see a lot of potential in its future.

• Patron

@ItsHurtingMyEyes said:

Raga plushies: MAKE IT SO

guys…

guys

GUYS

MAKE IT HAPPEN

• Raga Plushie HYPE! __
    Also the animation sprite sheets that you mentioned … gosh … endless possibilities :D

• LDG

@ItsHurtingMyEyes said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for the feedback! Replies below:

Regarding gameplay, it’s fun, but I’ve noticed that I almost never use either the totem powers or the soul orbs

That has been a common complaint, and we agree. In retrospect, we understand that we made the Super Castlevania IV mistake, in that the primary weapon considerably outpowers the subweapons. This is probably the exact opposite approach we should have taken!

We buffed the soul blast and totems in a recent update, but it sounds like we might not have done enough. In our next major update, we’re adding a ton more items, and we’ll try to tip the scales towards the optional abilities.

I’ve also quickly learned to loathe certain enemies and traps in this game with a fiery passion. It’s like in Serious Sam - you easily figure out which type of monster is going to be the first on the list of brutal omnicide.

Most players hate the owls!

This is just a small personal suggestion, but I think that it would be a nice touch if, whenever Raga dies and becomes a ghost, his body stays in the level until the player either leaves for the next level or finds a resurrection circle

I think that’s a great suggestion, and something we envisioned early on, but never actually implemented. I’ve added it to the list!

And I haven’t played far enough to have unlocked any characters, but when you choose someone else, does Raga appear in Amberfall as an NPC? Or do any of those characters show up in Amberfall after you’ve unlocked them?

There was a task to add the unlocked characters to the town but it got deprioritized several times during development. I’ll bubble it up again.

And one last question; Someone else on this forum had suggested giving Raga extra animations (idle animations, death anims, etc), and went as far as making his own sprite sheets as a demonstration. Do you plan on doing anything of the sort somewhere down the road, in the near or far future? Because again, little atmospheric touches tend to go a long way.

So, we made a mistake early on in development, actually during the Kickstarter when we promised unlockable characters. We made the decision to add them before we had enough insight to consider the ramifications that would have. These days we realize that all the effort of character design, balancing, and especially art/animation should have been put into just the main character, instead of spreading ourselves too thin over multiple characters. So long story short, we agree that animations are great, and we would have more of them if we hadn’t spent so much time on the other characters. When I first made Raga, I added a few extra animations including pain frames, idle animations, and a secret easter egg where he’ll curl up into a ball when positioned on a rug.

That’s all I’ve been able to work on so far, but there are some additional animations I’d love to do. Specifically I want to add an idle animations where he sticks out his tongue, and I want to give him dashing animation where he’s on all fours like a dog :) Hopefully I’ll be able to work on that in an update.

In general, AWL is a great way to kill an hour or two in its current state, with pretty solid gameplay and a very memorable protagonist (Raga plushies: MAKE IT SO), and I see a lot of potential in its future.

Really appreciate the kind words!