AWL 2.0.9

• LDG

AWL 2.0.9 is ready for testing! This update fixes a number of bugs and includes balance tweaks to Soul Blast, totems, and many other items.

You can help us test out this new build by switching to the “beta” branch on Steam. If you need help switching branches on Steam, check out A Wizard’s Lizard FAQ. The beta is only available via Steam at this time because there’s much less friction when running multiple versions of the game compared to Humble.

If you have time, check out the new build and let us know what you think of the various changes. If we can verify that this build feels good and doesn’t contain any crazy regression bugs, we’ll push it live to all users very soon.

Here are the patch notes for AWL 2.0.9:

• Buffed Soul Blast in various ways: Increased range, number of projectiles, reduced cooldown, reduced player stun duration
    • Consolidated various totem stats into Totem Power, which affects all aspects of totems
    • Buffs/tweaks to most totems, including more benefit per point of Totem Power
    • Charms can now affect many other stats besides totems, such as max health, weapon damage, and speed
    • Added a complete set of Dark Iron gear (used to be Lead) and removed speed penalty
    • Increased the amount of damage gained from attack buff items such as Spiked gear
    • Many other balance tweaks to various weapons and items
    • Increased delay when a Mimic is activated until it becomes hazardous to the player
    • Added option to disable screen shake (screen shake is enabled by default)
    • Fixed bug causing wizard fireballs to have too low of a cooldown in the Realm of the Dead
    • Fixed dungeon layout bug in Cemetery 2 causing Slime Key room to be missing
    • Fixed fullscreen settings bugs
    • Fixed boomerang cooldown and collision bugs
    • Fixed incorrect blueprint counts
    • Fixed bug where player could have < 0 health
    • Fixed flickering/corrupted text rendering

• Patron

Downloading it right now!

• Tiger Hat

I as well. Can’t wait to see what you’ve changed.

• Patron

Ok, some initial feedback:

• The gamepad crash is still there :(

• The game is substantially faster (and with that I mean a 5-7fps increase). It’s actually PLAYABLE on my crappy computer :D

• The “always two rooms away” rule @Affordable_Desk talked about seems to not work anymore. Can anyone confirm that?

• Tiger Hat

Ye gods, now we have a stat called trickiness. And you also added new items–you do realize I was one away from having all the items! And now a bunch of items have changed! Yes, more testing!

Just one quick positive thing: love the new appearance of a lot of the items!

EDIT: What?!?! The speed items are no longer ranger items? I liked being a ranger!
    EDIT 2: Projectile spread returns! Yes!

• LDG

@Josue said:

• The gamepad crash is still there :(

Yep, sorry :( It’s on the short list, though!

• The game is substantially faster (and with that I mean a 5-7fps increase). It’s actually PLAYABLE on my crappy computer :D

That’s great to hear! We changed the text rendering quite a bit and that seems to help. (Specifically, text is now buffered and drawn using drawImage each frame instead of fillText)

• The “always two rooms away” rule @Affordable_Desk talked about seems to not work anymore. Can anyone confirm that?

Hmmm, that should still be true for Cemetery 1. It’s probably not true for any other zone. The only zone layout I changed is Cemetery 2, in order to fix the bug where the Slime Key room wouldn’t spawn sometimes.

• LDG

@Elite said:

Ye gods, now we have a stat called trickiness. And you also added new items–you do realize I was one away from having all the items! And now a bunch of items have changed! Yes, more testing!

Gotta stay one step ahead of completionists!

Just one quick positive thing: love the new appearance of a lot of the items!

Thanks! We’ve tried to make it more clear what certain kinds of item effect, especially rings, charms, and books.

EDIT: What?!?! The speed items are no longer ranger items? I liked being a ranger!

I tend to agree. Let’s blame that change on @richtaur! /shakes fist

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

I tend to agree. Let’s blame that change on @richtaur! /shakes fist

Agreed. I at least demand the ring of speed’s name be changed to ring of free action.

• Patron

Ok, something veeery wrong is going on here, probably related to the fact that my computer sucks.

Video

I have no idea of what caused that. I just entered a room, and then the swords started going all crazy, in all directions rotated in crazy ways.

And then the zombies stopped moving and… well, that happened.

• LDG

I went for clarity over coolness, somebody was saying ranger gear should do more than just one thing, which I agree with. We have a list of item ideas and one of them has Ranger gear, which would be I’m thinking speed + attack.

@Josue weeeeird WHAT HAPPEN

• New version? It’s Save Deleting time!!! Text tearing was bad for me so I should be able to give you immediate confirmation on that one. Pretty sure Steam community will already have set you right on the rest by the time I get home tonight. Can I check does anything still reduce speed or is speed reduction gone?

• LDG

@Affordable_Desk said:

Can I check does anything still reduce speed or is speed reduction gone?

Gone from items, I think!

• Text tearing gone.

And the Zombie Warlord’s sped back up! Nice! Although no one complained about the Warlord being slow on Steam so you might hear back about that. Useful attack buffs too.

I miss the old Mimics but I guess the Steam community do have an axe to grind with it. I’ll have much more to say once I’ve tried everything else like the new charms.

I’m downloading the previous version from Humble so I can actually run my Lead Armour and Spiked Lantern super slowdown challenge. Pfft “Dark Iron”…fine I guess. You may also want to consider

• Charcoal Steel
    • Burnt Tungsten
    • Very very very very dark blue aluminium
    • Midnight adamantium
    • Horseblair’s justice bacolite
    • Apocalyptic anti-white dimension rutherfordium
    • Samson’s paradigm graphene: full contact edition
    • Reversed hellblaze carbon

• Tiger Hat

All right, played the beta for a bit so here’s some feedback:

GOOD:
    Ice sword freezes again! Hurray, it’s no longer a gimped ironsword. It’s also pretty balanced and doesn’t freeze bosses.
    The multi strike nerf in the form of greater cost and a drawback made it a much more balanced item and made other rings more desirable.
    Totems and soul blast are actually worth using now, causing me to actually bind them to a key.
    The new dark iron items are great for beginners or just that extra boost of health than can get one to the next area.
    Again, love the new item aesthetics.

BAD:
    Mimics are too easy now. It’s almost comical how long they wait before attacking, giving the player almost too much time to respond to them.
    The Sewer Hag still doesn’t drop health!
    Where is the dexterity ring? Was it totally removed? Did you guys think it was overpowered or something?
    This odd sprint bug I’ll try to replicate it again.

UGLY:
    Why were the demon items renamed to trickster? It sounds kind of silly, especially the new trickiness stat. “Haha, I’m so tricky now!”

REQUEST:
    Could we get the spiked items as blueprints?

• Tiger Hat

@Elite said:

Where is the dexterity ring? Was it totally removed? Did you guys think it was overpowered or something?

Still there it’s part of the winged stuff now. It’s a little ring with two wings on it.

• LDG

@Affordable_Desk said:

Text tearing gone.

Hooray \o/

And the Zombie Warlord’s sped back up! Nice! Although no one complained about the Warlord being slow on Steam so you might hear back about that. Useful attack buffs too.

I don’t recall changing this. Unless @richtaur did…

I miss the old Mimics but I guess the Steam community do have an axe to grind with it. I’ll have much more to say once I’ve tried everything else like the new charms.

I think I’m going to reduce the delay a bit. I started it at 500ms, but I agree that it’s a bit too generous, currently.

• Very very very very dark blue aluminium
    • Horseblair’s justice bacolite
    • Reversed hellblaze carbon

^ Best!

• LDG

@Elite said:

Mimics are too easy now. It’s almost comical how long they wait before attacking, giving the player almost too much time to respond to them.

Yeah, I’m going to buff them slightly as mentioned above.

The Sewer Hag still doesn’t drop health!

Yeah, the more I think about this, it should really be fixed ASAP. I’m going to move the health drops to the treasure rooms post-boss, nicely solving the problem where Sewer Hag would spawn her stuff in slime.

I think it was just renamed/re-graphic’d.

Why were the demon items renamed to trickster? It sounds kind of silly, especially the new trickiness stat. “Haha, I’m so tricky now!”

Ask @richtaur :P

Could we get the spiked items as blueprints?

Maybe! We’ll take a look at the blueprint landscape.

• LDG

@Josue said:

Ok, something veeery wrong is going on here, probably related to the fact that my computer sucks.

And then the zombies stopped moving and… well, that happened.

That’s really odd. I’m not sure what has changed that would cause that problem. Either it’s been there for a while, or…I don’t even…

• Patron

@geoffb said:

That’s really odd. I’m not sure what has changed that would cause that problem. Either it’s been there for a while, or…I don’t even…

Yeah, probably something related to sucky computers and waaay too high deltas.

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

I think it was just renamed/re-graphic’d.

Hmm, that’s strange because it’s disappeared from my shop and I have all the blueprints. It’s also not in the museum anywhere as well.

@richtaur, I’m awaiting an answer on why things got so tricky!

• just killed the shopkeeper Cemetery 1. Why is in Cemetery 2 the shopkeeper attacking me then again? For example.