Lostcast 78

• Patron

Lot’s o’ notes on this episode!

Let’s go!

• Will there be a Steam launch livestream? I’ve been thinking of some cool stuff we could do…

• At first, I thought that Geoff and Matt said the same thing at the same time at 4:58, but then it happened again at 5:10. Weird…

• 6:27 Yeah man, I know that feeling. We live in a city 40km away from São Paulo, but depending on the time of the day, it takes up to 2 hours to get there.

• Speaking of PWYW, what about making some LDG merch?

• NASA jam??!! That sounds awesome!!

• How did Matt get to go to E3?

• I feel about GDC as young Matt felt about E3… I wanna go so badly!

• Hey, so, I guess Matt will be horsy on the launch day?

• I didn’t like the HTML5hub FFT much. The topic of discussion is kinda uninteresting, and the edition lacks character. I think it would greatly benefit from some color grading.

• Ok, the way you explained what a normal is was weirdly rambly. Well, it’s Lostcast after all…

• You should post a diagram of that collision scenario…

• Oh, that axe-bouncing-in-the-opposite-direction-you-would-think-of bug was bugging me since… beta 5 or something! Thanks for the fix!

• Why do you have to calculate the overlap area between entities and tiles if SAT already gives you an overlap vector?

• I see guys like Alec Holowka and Noel Berry complaining about this kind of bugs in Unity all the time, so, I guess you would have them anyways.

• When the collision part ended, I felt like the episode was coming to it’s end. I was so glad to discover it was barely halfway done…

• Matt just WON’T give up saying my name… It’s so funny!

• Looks like the text editor that came preinstalled on my phone was meant to be used only for writing short notes, so, there’s a 1500 word limit per document, which is way less than my average Lostcast shownotes.

• I disagree with Geoff. Not only every game NEEDS to have a message, but every game intrinsically HAS a message. If you don’t pay attention to the message your game transmits, it will most probably be something you would be ashamed of. Of course, not every game needs to have a “moral of the story”, but when I talk about games having an effect on the player, I’m not talking only about that. It’s not only about having something to take away from, a higher meaning, or a deeper message. It’s not only thinking about what the pĺayer should think or do after playing your game, but also what the player should feel.
      I kinda feel like the industry is divided between the “art” games and the “fun” games. In art games, every mechanic has a meaning, and it’s purpose is to communicate something. As a result, they’re not tuned to be enjoyable. In fun games, the mechanics only serve the shallow purpose of being fun.
      You also have games like Bastion and Cave Story. The mechanics are made to be fun, just like in “fun” games. Instead of using the mechanics to tell the message, the more traditional “cutscene and dialog” are employed. The message is pretty abstract. The scenarios presented on the plot are aplicable only to the fantasy world. It’s more about escapism instead of being about teaching lessons.
      And then you have people like Jonathan Blow, who try to hit that sweet spot between art and entertainment, making games that are fun but also tell an important message, with the objective of increasing the player’s quality of life.
      As much as I love the sweet agony of escapism, the desire to live in these fantasy worlds, I have to admit that this isn’t a very constructive feeling.
      As Jonathan Blow said, games have a huge power to influence the way humans think, and if you don’t deeply care about what your games are teaching, you are being, at best, irresponsable.

• My mom really dug Lunch Bug.

• That remix tho… Now I can’t wait to see the trailer!

• Tiger Hat

Still waiting for a chance to listen… Grrr.

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

Still waiting for a chance to listen… Grrr.

You won’t regret it!

• LDG

@Josue said:

Will there be a Steam launch livestream? I’ve been thinking of some cool stuff we could do…

I don’t think we’re going to do a launch livestream this time around. Sorry!

Speaking of PWYW, what about making some LDG merch?

Oh man, I would love to put up some LDG merch. We’ve had some made for personal use, such as mouse pads, cups, and t-shirts. We’ll get around to it someday. AWL merch might be more popular though. Or Lostcast specific stuff. So many possibilities!

I didn’t like the HTML5hub FFT much. The topic of discussion is kinda uninteresting, and the edition lacks character. I think it would greatly benefit from some color grading.

The first segment was pretty short and the topic isn’t the most interesting we discussed. I had no idea how they were going to roll this out, but I hoping the other segments turn out really well.

You should post a diagram of that collision scenario…
    Oh, that axe-bouncing-in-the-opposite-direction-you-would-think-of bug was bugging me since… beta 5 or something! Thanks for the fix!

More info: http://www.geoffblair.com/blog/order-matters-tile-map-collision-response/

Why do you have to calculate the overlap area between entities and tiles if SAT already gives you an overlap vector?

SAT usually gives you an overlap vector for the axis of least overlap. I wanted to calculate the area of the entire overlapping rectangle. I’m sure that some SAT implementations could/do provide this info as part of the response.

I see guys like Alec Holowka and Noel Berry complaining about this kind of bugs in Unity all the time, so, I guess you would have them anyways.

That’s reassuring!

• LDG

@Josue said:

At first, I thought that Geoff and Matt said the same thing at the same time at 4:58, but then it happened again at 5:10. Weird…

Get out of my brain!!

How did Matt get to go to E3?

I didn’t :( I had an … unofficial way to get in, but it fell through. Sad Matt today…

Matt just WON’T give up saying my name… It’s so funny!

I like to giving shout-outs but I suck at speaking :3

My mom really dug Lunch Bug.

Hah great to hear!

That remix tho… Now I can’t wait to see the trailer!

It’s great! And we’ll get there with game design, we just have lots to learn before we can be more expressive… at least, I think!

• Patron

@richtaur

It’s great! And we’ll get there with game design, we just have lots to learn before we can be more expressive… at least, I think!

No! Start now! Unless you want your game to communicate things you might not want to.

Actually, I was thinking about what message AWL transmits… I think the main message is “after life exists, but it sucks”.

• Penguin

@Josue said:

Actually, I was thinking about what message AWL transmits… I think the main message is “after life exists, but it sucks”.

I was thinking not quite “after-life,” more like, “second chances.” And the death realm isn’t THAT sucky!

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

@Josue said:

I was thinking not quite “after-life,” more like, “second chances.” And the death realm isn’t THAT sucky!

I just mean that, usually, people think of after life as a “better place”.

In AWL, it’s even tougher than “life”.

• Penguin

@Josue said:

@Macaronee said:

@Josue said:

I just mean that, usually, people think of after life as a “better place”.

In AWL, it’s even tougher than “life”.

OH ok that makes sense! That totally did not occur to me. Must be cause I wouldn’t go to a better place, rather a toasty one :P

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

Must be cause I wouldn’t go to a better place, rather a toasty one :P

Hey, there’s always hope XD

• Penguin

@Josue said:

@Macaronee said:

I’ve lived a very cold life in SF bay area. Toasty sounds nice right about now.

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

@Josue said:

@Macaronee said:

I’ve lived a very cold life in SF bay area. Toasty sounds nice right about now.

LoL

Brazil is generally a pretty damn hot country, so… very cold sounds cool to me…