Cheersphilip's World Cup thread

• Tiger Hat

Well, the World cup is upon us! Are there any fans out there? Will @richtaur and @geoffb be relaxing by taking in a few games in their spare time?! Post-AWL launch, obviously!

Is anyone going to join up their shared passion of games and football to create some sort of copyright-infringing tie-in cheap spin-off game?

And, what I really want is know is what is it actually like in Brazil at this moment in time - @Josue ? Exciting? Tense? colourful?!

• Patron

I don’t specially like football/soccer (whatever you wanna call it).

I have nothing against it, it’s just not one of my favorite sports.

But the cup… I hate it from the most dark portions of my heart.

So, the government invested billions of dollars of public money in building infrastructure and stadiums for holding this event (which is hosted by a private corporation, BTW), claiming that these investments will bring progress and capital to Brazil, what is obviously false as, in the best case scenario, the stadiums will pay for themselves (which will probably still take decades to happen). Actually, since it’s inauguration, the Mané Garrincha stadium (the most expensive one) has received more than 30 events, including a Beyoncé show and the most profitable match of the history of the Brazilian football cup. Still, at this pace, it will take more than 1000 years for it to pay for itself. This stadium alone has a estimate cost of almost 1 BI US$!

The cup has taken over everywhere! On TV and radio all you hear about is the cup. Promotions, ads, sales, all have something to do with the cup.

Everyone is hyped about this sport event I don’t care about which is also one of the financially worst events any country has ever held, and politicians still try to convince us that this will be good for Brazil…

Also, the cup is the time of the hypocrites. Those people who normally don’t give a s**t about Brazil suddenly are the most patriot beings you’ve ever met.

One of the only good things the cup has brought to Brazil is LTE. Even then, it’s only available on the cities which will hold games, it’s prohibitively expensive and it has a peak speed of only 7mbps. Oh, also, it made the vacations start earlier, but I’m not sure that’s a good thing or not.

So, I guess now you know why I hate the cup.

• Tiger Hat

Gotcha.

LDG 1, World cup 0.

• LDG

Fun fact: At one point we considered turning the “sportsball” thing in AWL town into a mini-game. Obviously, we didn’t, but it sounds fun!

…oh, real football/soccer? Not my cup of tea (which happens to be English Breakfast).

• Patron

@geoffb said:

Fun fact: At one point we considered turning the “sportsball” thing in AWL town into a mini-game. Obviously, we didn’t, but it sounds fun!

You got 5 days to implement it! GO!

• LDG

Sports Ball would be very soccer-like… GAME JAM!

I know nothing about sports. Who’s your favorite team @cheersphilip?

• Penguin

wow @Josue … way to SHAT on things :P

But I do understand it’s different for the Brazilians. I’m not trying to argue so don’t send me howlers amg. And, politicians, wherever they are, are still politicians! Darn liars and money wasters !! :P

All I know about soccer is… well, one of the players is married to a Spice Girl. I’m from that generation and I loved her. So there.

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

But I do understand it’s different for the Brazilians. I’m not trying to argue so don’t send me howlers amg. And, politicians, wherever they are, are still politicians! Darn liars and money wasters !! :P

The thing is, it’s not different for brazilians.

Most people here seem to not care about it. Actually, most of them seem to be enjoying it.

That’s what makes me mad about it! I mean, are people in Brazil out of their minds?

All I know about soccer is… well, one of the players is married to a Spice Girl. I’m from that generation and I loved her. So there.

Oh, that’s something I didn’t know…

• Patron

Ok, somebody tell me where can I buy a led ball like that!

It’s so awesome!

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

Sports Ball would be very soccer-like… GAME JAM!

I know nothing about sports. Who’s your favorite team @cheersphilip?

Sports is a pretty popular pastime for people who have not had the pleasure of being introduced to games. I think it started with all the Fifa and snowboarding games in the mid-nineties, followed by WiiFit, that really helped sport to take off. People were like ‘I really enjoy playing this sports ball game - I wonder if it would work IRL’

I don’t have a favourite team for this tournament, but I do have £20 in a syndicate which, amongst other bets, favours Brazil to win it :)

Fingers crossed!

• LDG

I enjoyed playing sports so much before organized teams and overly aggressive players made them unbearable. Kinda like online game players today!

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

I enjoyed playing sports so much before organized teams and overly aggressive players made them unbearable. Kinda like online game players today!

So true - “guys, it’s okay, it’s just a game - it’s supposed to be, y’know… fun?”

• Tiger Hat

Well, England vs. Italy has just kicked off, and I’m going to bed - It’s too late for this sh!t.

• @geoffb said:

…oh, real football/soccer? Not my cup of tea (which happens to be English Breakfast).

I am still hoping for the ball weapon which I suggested 5 month ago :p
    It’ld be awesome if you could summon balls and kick them at your enemies :D

• Tiger Hat

Pf, I’m just waiting for the AWL World Cup. Who’s the best at A Wizard’s Lizard in the world?

• LDG

Looks like FiveThirtyEight agrees with @Josue about the benefits of hosting the World Cup:

Were the Billions Brazil Spent on World Cup Stadiums Worth It?

Spoiler: No so much. Only the upcoming Russian hosting appears to be a less economically viable endeavor.

• Patron

So, apparently, everybody was like “If Neymar can’t play, we won’t either”, yesterday.

LOL

This explains everything:

haha

Sorry for your 20 euros, @cheersphilip.

• Patron

Well, at least it’s better to lose a world cup than two world wars, I guess…

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

A bunch of those losers lived in your country.

• Patron

Man, I really wanted Brazil to win because it was the only thing that could possibly go right about the cup for us.

• Penguin

@Josue said:

I don’t think anyone really “wins” a world war.