What topics would you like to hear discussed on Lostcast?

• LDG

Recently Geoff and I are interested in game design, as we’ve seen time and again that the technology takes a back seat. We also have been talking about AWL of course, and its infrastructure like Steam, marketing, bizdev…

But what are YOU interested in??

• Patron

As I said before, I’m interested in knowing how your life experiences can effect the games you make, and how games can change people’s lives.

Yeah, I know, that’s very… meta. But anyways…

I think your game design discussions are more like game engineering discussions. You discuss how to make your game work the way you want it to work, and how to make it have the effect you want it to have on the players. I’m more interested in knowing why do you want your games to be like that, instead of how to make games be like that.

Why do you want your games to be fun?

Why do you want your games to have a high replayability?

What do you want the player to remember about your game? What message do you want to communicate? I don’t mean a mantra or something like that, instead, I mean what emotional weight do you want your game to have on the players and why?

Why do you even want to make games?

• Deprecast. Much, much more deprecast. I think it’s better for everyone when you catch your mistakes early rather than make Lava Blade and go “we didn’t really want to make that”. For example in the last few weeks Lostcasts you raised a couple of things to which I immediately thought “they’re going to do a show 3 months from now and say how stupid that was”.

Also, @cheersphilip is dangerously under-represented in the subject matter, more @cheersphilip, more deprecast. That’s in general for everyone really.

As for me personally I would also like to see more discussion about art, it was a while ago but you guys were discussing the possibility of Geoff taking up a tablet and starting back on the drawing which I think would be very helpful for your output, two artists, two programmers. I’m a programmer learning art at the moment and I’d find that useful.

• Patron

@Affordable_Desk said:

Also, @cheersphilip is dangerously under-represented in the subject matter, more @cheersphilip, more deprecast. That’s in general for everyone really.

Yeah man, more forum/interwebs interaction!

• Penguin

@Affordable_Desk said:

As for me personally I would also like to see more discussion about art, it was a while ago but you guys were discussing the possibility of Geoff taking up a tablet and starting back on the drawing which I think would be very helpful for your output, two artists, two programmers. I’m a programmer learning art at the moment and I’d find that useful.

May I remind you, Turkey Hunt.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

@Affordable_Desk said:

Yeah man, more forum/interwebs interaction!

Honestly, I have not idea what this means. Is this because I’m only half way through Lostcast 77?

I would back up what @Josue was saying - we had a game festival here in Norwich recently where Failnaut came up from London and talked about “personal games” - those which have personal meaning for you, and hopefully other people. You should do an interview with him, he’s really nice.

• LDG

Cool, good stuff! Agreed on the “why” of things, been thinking about that lately…

• Tiger Hat

Wow, this was the “deprecast” was the first one I listened to and it was really enjoyable. What I liked most about it was the talk of game design and how your choices impacted Wizard’s Lizard and will continue to impact your future games. Loved the discussion of the evils of random behaviors and the banter between you two concerning recent changes as well as some of your past experiences. Definitely looking forward to listening to some more of this in the future.

• Tiger Hat

@Elite Welcome to Lostcast :)

• Tiger Hat

I would like to hear some discussion of the topic of fear and terror in video games, after reading this article about the future of fear, based on what was seen at E3. Also of interest are this article and this other article about Slender Man ‘inspiring’ people to kill…

• What sensations and feeling scan we bring out in people playing our games?
    • What should we be trying to bring out in people - what are video games for?
    • Is there a line which you shouldn’t cross? What is the moral imperative here?
    • I’m slightly worried the video game industry is heading this way.

• Tiger Hat

I’ve really been enjoying the bizdev topics on your shows lately and would love to hear more. Also, I agree with @Affordable_Desk that Deprecast hit the right mix of design and entertainment discussion that makes your shows enjoyable.

+1 on the fear topic proposed by @cheersphilip. Really interesting ideas there that kind of touch on last week’s episode about the why of games.

Before picking up games I was a QA and have an appreciation for good engineering practices. It’s selfish but I’d love to hear some lessons learned about launching on so many platforms in the last several years and how you’ve improved your process throughout.

Also, I enjoy geeking out over project management tools and would enjoy hearing more about all the business end tools you use for collaboration, business management, project management, etc. Do you use an agile approach or anything like that? (Disclaimer, I’ve been an off and on listener for only six months so maybe there’s an old episode that covers this stuff).

• LDG

@lucasblucas Welcome to the forum! I do like the “why” discussions prompted by @Josue and @cheersphilip, lately. I’m sure we’ll talk more about that in the near future.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well. I know we’ve discussed our process and tools a bit before, but we’re finding new ways to improve all the time so there’s likely to be some new info. Same with the platforms talk, I do love a good foray into engineering topics. :D

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb Did your project management tools make it easy to roll back to 2.05 yesterday?

• LDG

@cheersphilip said:

Did your project management tools make it easy to roll back to 2.05 yesterday?

Actually, Steam has a great build/branch system that makes it really easy to roll back to previous versions.

• LDG

Bump! Are there are any new topics the community is interested in hearing @richtaur and I blabber about for an hour?

• Tiger Hat

How about lining up an interview with a Unity developer (not suggesting the actual company, but that’d be cool too). It certainly feels like you can’t throw a magical boomerang without hitting one. Seems like it’d be interesting for you and us to hear some perspectives of other Unity 2D game developers out there. Bonus points if you find another convert from HTML5 :)

• Patron

I always find @geoffb 's ongoing quest to remove distractions interesting. To my knowledge, the last major piece of LDG that is still self-maintained is the podcast. Digging in to the RSS, I ran a ping on the media files and hit Amazon S3.

Dans-MacBook-Pro:~ dannagle$ ping media.lostdecadegames.com
    PING s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com (54.231.161.83): 56 data bytes

That tells me you rolled your own RSS toolkit. Has the workflow gotten streamlined enough that you aren’t going to bother signing up for a hosted service?

• LDG

@Warspawn said:

How about lining up an interview with a Unity developer (not suggesting the actual company, but that’d be cool too). It certainly feels like you can’t throw a magical boomerang without hitting one. Seems like it’d be interesting for you and us to hear some perspectives of other Unity 2D game developers out there. Bonus points if you find another convert from HTML5 :)

Actually, Patrick Klug from Greenheart Games would be perfect. We sat down with him back in Lostcast 69: Greencast, and they’ve since converted from HTML5 to Unity as well.

@dannagle said:

That tells me you rolled your own RSS toolkit. Has the workflow gotten streamlined enough that you aren’t going to bother signing up for a hosted service?

Lostcast is definitely going to feel the wrath of my holy crusade in the near future. We did roll our own RSS code, and it seems like every other week we have some kind of XML parsing error.

• LDG

I want an alternate universe where we can talk for an hour and the podcast magically appears, fully edited and polished, on iTunes and RSS lists everywhere :P

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

I want an alternate universe where we can talk for an hour and the podcast magically appears, fully edited and polished, on iTunes and RSS lists everywhere :P

wouldn’t it be better in this universe? otherwise we’d all have to go there, and then my hair would likely be purple and there’s at least a 5% chance we’ll all have horse hooves.

• Jammer

I really enjoy lostcast as is. Each episode I listen to really makes me feel connected with my own passion for games, development, art, and you guys who are able to fully explore those passions and bring them to fruition. I have been listening for only a couple of months now, but have dove into much of the work LDG has produced, including your written tutorials, youtube videos, streams, etc. and I just feel very much a fan of all you guys do. So thank you for inspiring me each and every day. I re-read that and it’s pretty mushy, but oh well. Anyway, yeah I love the show, please keep it up! If anything I’d say for my own selfish reasons I’d just ask that even though you’ve moved onto a new development platform please do not abandon HTML5. Both of your explanations of concepts are/have been invaluable to me, and allowed me to bring many of my ideas to life. So thanks!