A Wizard's Lizard Steam beta feedback

• Tiger Hat

I’ve begun to play the update and indeed, a lot of the points are improved ; the new version is a genuine improvement! I’ve still yet to deal with the Zombie Overlord and see if he’s better balanced (as I said earlier, in the previous update he was really cheap) but so far, it’s much better.

The new pain sound effect is better. While toying with the game, I also noticed a little detail I hadn’t noticed previously, one I found really nice… as well as some details to fix.

• In the prologue stage (Wizard’s tower), you actually get text for looking at the book shelves. Very neat!
    • … however, the furniture in the wizard’s room is magically repaired if you go back to Raga’s room and re-enter.
    • likewise, the museum/sad theme will stop playing even if you leave the room at all, not just if you go into the north room. This is fitting for the north room… but jarring if you return to Raga’s room and then back to the wizard’s room.
    • much more populated starter town. Very neat! Fireworks for sale is a neat touch.
    • Is it allowed to suggest some text prompts? I love the adventure-style investigation prompts you can get from looking at stuff in both the town and the dungeons.
    • Food spawning in the dungeons help a lot with the difficulty balance ; the game’s difficulty is much more reasonable.
    • Raga’s voice clip when injured is a lot better and less jarring.
    • Run mechanic is improved ; the Zelda-style start-up made sense when you had the Essence of the Cheetah special item that allowed infinite dashing with no cooldown but made the normal dash pretty useless. The new dash mechanic is a lot better.
    • There is a graphical bug with the dash though ; the dust clouds kicked up by Raga are spawned too high when running horizontally, spawning from the middle of his body instead of his feet. It’s a small detail but I wanted to bring it up. Here is a screenshot showing off the bug (taken from the previous version, hence the old dash icon):
      Kicked dust or fart clouds?
    • The music volume is uneven ; the map screen and main title have much louder music than the game as a whole. I think this is a bug ; the title screen and map might be designed to always play music at 100% volume.
    • Owls are much better balanced ; lowered HP still make them easy-ish to kill but the fact that all owls will counter-attack if you strike a Great Owl make them dangerous again (in the previous version, the owls had been nerfed far too much and had lost too much of their fear factor)
    • The holy element for weapons (such as Arthur’s Lance) is much more useful ; the fact that the holy element works against zombies and other undead (not just Deminions) make it much more useful to have as a whole.
    • New resurrection circle design make it look a lot less ominous and less ‘black magic’/‘forbidden magic’. Not sure if I believe this is an improvement or not but it does look neat.
    • Noticed that mid-bosses now drop the same rewards as stage bosses. This is a good thing ; it give the player an incentive to defeat them during repeated runs even if the shortcuts obtained from defeating them is already unlocked.
    • … however, mid-bosses no longer have their health bar displayed without the Monster Manual like stage bosses. Wondering why…
    • Ogres and Minotaurs have their health bar displayed even without the Monster Manual. Given they’re normal enemies, I don’t get why. This, doubled with mid-bosses no longer having their health bars displayed, make me think something went wrong regarding this point.
    • Explosive mushrooms now work correctly ; they affect monsters and destructible items, not just Raga.
    • White Deminion mid-boss no longer a mandatory fight ; in previous versions of the game, the White Deminion would always spawn in a room that was necessary to go through to finish the game. Feels a bit weird for her no longer to be a mandatory fight (as in previous versions of the game, she was alongside Death the only boss that you were 100% sure to face every single run)
    • White Deminion mid-boss does not spawn the usual mid-boss rewards. Given the reward she give you is a secret character, which is only valid the first time, and given she’s no longer a mandatory fight on top of being more difficult (you can no longer pick off her minions to have an easier time against her ; she’ll attack right away if you attack one of the minions first), this give the player little incentive to actually seek her out.
    • I think this was there in earlier versions but only noticed it now… sometimes, the wandering ghosts (while alive) will proceed to moonwalk all over the place, walking sideways or backward. It’s not really a major point (since I only noticed it now) and may actually be intended but well… took a screenshot of it. Behold, the amazing moonwalking ghost!
      Amazing moonwalking ghost
    • I agree with the ‘lack of healing’ assessment in the Sewer and especially the Crypt. This is especially noticeable in the Crypt since in the first paid version, the player would periodically find healing potions in some chests ; those chests, such as the one surrounded by four Maro Statues, have a crown now instead. I think the Sewer should have a greater food spawn. I’m okay with the Crypt not getting a better food spawn given the potion chests are brought back.
    • And whoa! Arrow traps are DEADLY in this new update! Their range has been upgraded and they do a solid 10 damage now. Given how tricky they are to navigate and the lack of defense stat, arrow traps are the new single most common source of failed runs ; even the boomerang-using minotaur, otherwise the deadliest enemy in the game, can be taken relatively consistently with a long-range weapon. But stumbling into arrow traps from just a bit offscreen keep killing me over and over. The problem is not so much that they’re hard to avoid as is the large amount of damage they inflict ; in the original paid version, arrow traps were tolerable because armor made them easily survivable. Now… even fully decked in armor, a couple of arrow traps can end your run easily which is a problem as they’re all over the freakin’ place.
    • Boss criticism ; seems you just can’t win with the Zombie Warlord. He’s now… kind of really, really easy. I guess that make sense given he’s the first boss but compared to his more epic earlier versions, he’s really disappointing. Oh well. At least, he’s no longer cheap like in the previous version.
    • Werewolf Ambush boss fight was actually updated, which surprised me since I thought it would either be left alone or replaced with the Dragoneater boss altogether. The fact that the random spike traps will be replaced by mushrooms randomly make this fight a LOT harder… and it was nowhere near easy to start with. Thankfully, the reward match the difficulty increase ; Golden Axe spawn!
    • Royal Dagger nerf is way, way too big. In the previous versions, the Royal Dagger tied with the Flame Axe for biggest DPS in the game ; deck yourself in attack-increasing gear and watch it tear apart normal enemies and bosses alike!.. of course, this was the previous version. The Royal Dagger being in single projectiles make it unfortunately useless as it reduce the rapid-fire effect and spread shot-style coverage that made it a viable alternative to the Flame Axe as an endgame weapon.

I have to test the new version some more, in particular at least beat the game once but so far, things are improved significantly. I’ve still yet to test the totem and soul blast and see if they’re as problematic as stated ; in particular, I hope the Soul Blast was made more powerful (as its original version was pretty useless). I’ll come up with further comments later.

• Tiger Hat

That’s weird with the royal daggers–they shoot double for me. Also of annoyance is that fact that I unlocked Moto and the last blueprint yet they keep locking themselves up again. Pretty frustrating bug.

• LDG

@Elite said:

Not to be a bother, but do you guys have any idea when the patch that fixes the rocket explosion’s inability to damage RotD will hit?

There’s really nothing holding up this update except us, we just need to push it to Steam and test it out.

@Mew said:

Regarding the Sewer Hag… very simple solution in my opinion: have the potion spawn in the center of the room, under the central pool. The room has a set layout so it should be no problem to simply have it spawn at a set spot.

That would still make the drops inaccessible. The problem was that the potions were appearing in the sewage, which players can’t get to. The fix we have in the latest version is the drops appear in the treasure room following boss rooms.

• LDG

@Mew said:

• … however, mid-bosses no longer have their health bar displayed without the Monster Manual like stage bosses. Wondering why…

Which mid-bosses?

• Ogres and Minotaurs have their health bar displayed even without the Monster Manual. Given they’re normal enemies, I don’t get why. This, doubled with mid-bosses no longer having their health bars displayed, make me think something went wrong regarding this point.

That’ll be fixed in the next beta.

Behold, the amazing moonwalking ghost!

Yeah that’s been a bug for a while now, we decided to not fix :)

• And whoa! Arrow traps are DEADLY in this new update!

We flattened most damage to 10, which is the only change to arrow traps. I"ll consider nerfing their detection area again.

• Boss criticism ; seems you just can’t win with the Zombie Warlord

The Zombie Warlord has been one of the most expensive encounters we’ve ever worked on. We did our best but we’re probably done with the tweaks, so… that’s all folks!

I have to test the new version some more, in particular at least beat the game once but so far, things are improved significantly. I’ve still yet to test the totem and soul blast and see if they’re as problematic as stated ; in particular, I hope the Soul Blast was made more powerful (as its original version was pretty useless). I’ll come up with further comments later.

Both were buffed significantly. There are lots of new (hopefully interesting) totems coming in the major update on the horizon. Thanks for the feedback! Oh and welcome back, BTW :)

• Tiger Hat

Yep! I’m back and glad to be!

Regarding the mid-bosses, I refer to unique enemies that only appear once in the game and have their own unique arena. Though they are expected battles, all but one of them (the White Deminion) can technically be skipped. I consider them as mid-bosses as defeating them is an important point in most runs (and defeating them create the shortcuts for the levels).

What I consider to be mid-bosses:
    -Slime Crystal (unique enemy, unique room layout, game aknowledge importance of battle by unlocking a shortcut if you defeat it)
    -Blood Crystal (unique enemy, unique room layout, game aknowledge importance of battle by unlocking a shortcut if you defeat it)
    -White Deminion (mandatory fight in previous game versions, unique enemy, unique room layout, much stronger than regular enemies with a more complex pattern with the White Deminion attacking more fiercely at low HP)
    -Gelatin Cube (optionnal boss)
    -Gelatinice Cube (optionnal boss)

To add to the idea that they’re mid-bosses and not merely normal enemies, all of those foes (except the White Deminion) had a boss-style health bar that appeared even when you did not have the Monster Manual. In the current version, the Crystal (and probably the Cubes) also drop the same rewards as stage bosses (a crown and a health potion). The White Deminion has all of the trappings of a mid-boss, complete with the more complex attack pattern and much higher HP, which due to her being a mandatory fight in previous versions, made me think she was a mid-boss fight.

The cubes blur the line a bit ; on one hand, they could be considered full-fledged bosses, especially given their rather nasty pattern (especially the Gelatinice version) and extremely large max HP as well as how you have to go out of your way to pick a fight with them but as they lack the boss theme, I’m technically counting them as optionnal mid-bosses.

I’ve also tested out both the totem and soul blast and they’re MUCH better in this version. The Totem ironically work best as a renewable ‘smart bomb’ because of its low range but it works very well in that regard. I find the various totems to be very fun to use and to give a lot of tactical superiority ; I like to pick the Earth Totem to snipe from around corners without having to pick up the axe weapons. The basic Totem is not great but is very nice for clearing up mobs in the Graveyard and Sewer stages. It does grow obsolete when you reach the Crypt (which focus on smaller numbers of really tough enemies instead of mobs of popcorn enemies). Gameplay-wise, this is overall the best version yet!

• Tiger Hat

Do you guys have any idea when the next patch will hit?

• Tiger Hat

@Elite, you know what else needs a patch?

• Tiger Hat

@Affordable_Desk said:

Uh, nothing I can think of. I mean, the game has got frame rate issues and those arrow traps are a pain in the arse but I’m just looking forward to some new cool content.

• LDG

@Elite said:

Do you guys have any idea when the next patch will hit?

Small patch next week with a couple overdue bug fixes. Larger patch with more items coming in the next week or two, hopefully. We had some promotional stuff that we didn’t want to overlap with patches, so the timing is tough! Anyway, sorry for the dry spell. We’ll be making more progress next week.

• Tiger Hat

@Elite said:

@Affordable_Desk said:

Your face!!!

Oh!! You totally got me!

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

Small patch next week

୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ LDG LIED ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨

Just kidding, it’s been cool seeing some of the prototypes you guys are developing

• LDG

@Elite said:

@geoffb said:

Small patch next week

୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ LDG LIED ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨

Just kidding, it’s been cool seeing some of the prototypes you guys are developing

Yeah…sorry about that, last week got away from me. :(

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

Yeah…sorry about that, last week got away from me. :(

I know the feeling, this was supposed to be a 10 minute video challenging @Josue to a Super Meat Boy duel.

You and @richtaur need to chill out, how about 4 priest Hammerwatch run with me and @Elite? Don’t answer until you see how much fun it is!

• Patron

Oh man, this thread!
    Such nostalgia…

R.I.P @Affordable_Desk

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

Oh man, this thread!
    Such nostalgia…

R.I.P @Affordable_Desk

It’s almost been a year since he’s logged on to Steam. I hope he’s doing alright. Miss you, man.

• Tiger Hat

:'(

Nooooooo deskkkk