A Wizard's Lizard Steam beta feedback

• LDG

The Steam beta keys will be sent out to over two dozen of you fine forum folks here in a few moments…

Please post feedback here. If you found any bugs, please include the operating system you used to play. Thanks!

• Tiger Hat

Initial feedback: Game is hard(er)!

• Tiger Hat

I… I wish I could access the beta but unfortunately, I do not have Steam.

… does that mean I’m excluded from the beta?

• Tiger Hat

@Mew
    Can you not download Steam?

• Tiger Hat

I oppose Steam on principle ; I will never download it.

(I do like to own my games instead of simply loaning them and being at the mercy of the company removing support or simply not offering support whenever they feel like it. AKA if I want to play my game in 10 years from now, I want to be able to do so. Steam prevent me from doing so.)

• Tiger Hat

@Mew said:

I oppose Steam on principle ; I will never download it.

(I do like to own my games instead of simply loaning them and being at the mercy of the company removing support or simply not offering support whenever they feel like it. AKA if I want to play my game in 10 years from now, I want to be able to do so. Steam prevent me from doing so.)

Hmm, yes I understand your logic, but in this case you would own the game both DRM-free through Humble Bundle and with Steam. You could just download Steam to participate in the beta and then delete it afterwards, never to touch it again.

• Tiger Hat

So in short… me sharing contact infos with the dev team to get into the beta was a waste of time :(

I thought that the beta would be available to non-Steam players…

… I was looking forward to helping with the beta, too…

• I’m about to start playing, pretty excited to see the new content!

One thing right off the bat before playing: I’m not using a gamepad, so I pressed “space” at the opening prompt. But when I look at the achievements screen, I see a big “B” button next to the words “Back”. Strangely, I was confused for a minute until I figured “Esc” would work. It would probably be a good idea to have an “Esc” button on the achievements screen when someone isn’t using a gamepad.

Anyways, I’m off to play!

• Tiger Hat

@Mew said:

So in short… me sharing contact infos with the dev team to get into the beta was a waste of time :(

I thought that the beta would be available to non-Steam players…

Sorry bud, but that was never promised. :( Here’s a quote from the big Geoff himself:

“We’re testing AWL on Steam right now and the current key request is to bring in a bunch of beta testers to the Steam version. This version does include all kinds of updates, and is what we’ll eventually launch on Steam before the end of June, hopefully. After the Steam launch is public, all existing Humble purchasers will have access to the same updated version of AWL via Humble as well as Steam keys.”

• Tiger Hat

Here is a post, from the sticky thread.

“If you’d like to play the latest version and provide feedback, fill out this form and we’ll email you when it’s ready. (Note: we’re only including those who’ve obtained the game through Humble – please use your Humble email address in the form.)”

I think it clearly seem to indicate that Humble bundle players will also be able to play the beta, not just Steam ones…

EDIT: Checked and… :(

I feel cheated. Very cheated. Very, very cheated. I wanted to contribute to the beta, to try and help with the project… it seems I won’t be able to do so. I really hope for Richtaur or Geoff to clarify though I’m not hopeful at this point.

EDIT 2: I overreacted. Sorry everyone. Hope I didn’t sound too much like an idiot and didn’t bother everyone too much…

• LDG

To clarify our stance on the beta and Steam:

We initially pushed out the Steam version for a couple reasons. Steam is the focus platform for this release and we wanted to make sure it got the most testing. It also has more complicated integration because of implementing the Steam API and the build process needs to include some dynamic libraries. Long story short, there’s a lot more going on with Steam builds than stand-alone builds. Because of that, I decided to reduce the workload on myself and focus on getting Steam out the door first.

That said, there are a lot of changes in AWL which have nothing to do with Steam and we obviously want to get eyeballs on those changes either inside or outside of Steam. Right now, we prefer if players are testing via Steam simply because we have experience distributing the game via Humble/stand-alone and we want to make sure and catch any crazy bugs before the game goes out to Steam’s massive user base.

I completely understand the decision to stay away from Steam. At the core, it’s DRM and that doesn’t sit well with people who want to really own their content. I purchase all of my music DRM-free via Amazon instead of using iTunes for this same reason (although, iTunes may have a DRM free option now, I think, but the point stands).

We love the Humble store for many reasons, not the least of which is the freedom it provides for our players and ourselves as developers. And if you ever want to know how to make sure the developer gets the most money from a sale, it’s the Humble or direct sale widget from their website, like we have on www.WizardsLizard.com.

Now that the Steam builds are out and they largely haven’t blown up (seems like you guys can install and play the game!), I can spend some time providing some stand-alone builds for the beta. In general, we want to be as inclusive as possible with regards to distribution. Give us the benefit of the doubt that we’ll try to make sure everyone who wants to play AWL or help us test new features gets the chance. Unfortunately, due to being a small team we can’t always launch everything concurrently so sometimes one platform with take priority over another depending on the situation. I can assure you, however, that Humble builds will be available on the same day that the Steam version launches.

We really appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm for AWL and we’re hoping you all enjoy the new changes!

• Hi guys I found out at about 02:00am because I couldn’t sleep, I 'll just call it an all-nighter and work on my house move work while downloading, luckily I have a special weakness to coffee it’s twice as effective on me so no one at work will know my crimes, NO ONE I TELL YOU!!! And this thread is jumping with some lively DRM debate! Found some stuff, haven’t had time for a good run yet though, if I get out of work in time I should be able to mess around in the sewers tomorrow with more in depth stuff.

===============
    Selecting Credits in main menu re-fades in the original title music doesn’t feel right breaks flow. Actually just letting the music continue would be fine.

I’m assuming that eventually “Achievements” will bring up the Steam overlay? This isn’t a preference of mine or anything just checking.

Go into settings, select Fullscreen, it works. Quit game, start again. The game isn’t Fullscreen, that’s fine but unfortunately Fullscreen is still ticked when you go back into settings, untick it and the game goes Fullscreen, tick it and it goes non-fullscreen etc.

I brought up the text tearing problem a while back, it wasn’t noticeable back then and I dismissed it because it was only Windows 8 I was using and it was probably causing the problem itself. It’s a little worse now I’m afraid but again I’m sure at least only Windows 8, if anyone else can say if they get it what they’re using. Anyway thanks to Steam screenshots I was able to catch it in the act. Basically, as you can see in this picture text appears to be written over random locations, in this instance it’s the word “Back” at the bottom is finding itself popping up in several places at the top.

Classic side to the wall collision issue is still there. If your side is to the north wall and you fire a sword it just bounces into thin air. Slight twist on it though, firing downward while side to east wall gets it too

Want to see Raga’s sprite bounce and blur like crazy? Just keep walking downwards into any solid object (including walls). An even funnier one is keeping walking down into a wall, now hold dash and keep the down key/stick held down, looks like a seizure. Monsters suffer from this too, kite a skeleton downwards to a centre placed grave and they’ll bounce too.

Love the soul blast but the keys for it are very poorly placed for keyboard players.

Swords (and possibly other weapons) have inherited the axe pass through blocks glitch. Here’s a video, see how the sword jumps left and right of the block. I was also able to demonstrate the juddering glitch mentioned earlier. I know it might look like I was firing through gaps I wasn’t, I was just holding down on the keyboard cursor the whole time. Actually, I looked further into this, during that video my swords were moving in the killer bees pattern. Can you confirm that a piece of equipment causes that? I think I had something called a “Heretic Helm”.

PRAISE
    I’m sure praise will just get in the way of good bug reporting but mouse aiming, 2 thumbs up and a pleasant surprise.

Dash mechanic with boots and “coolbox” (as you guys call it), much much better.

Progress map, nice polish.

Like soul blasts and totems.

OTHER
    Is being able to walk behind the town lanterns intentional?

No opening cutscene? Is this a deliberate choice or presumably just for the testing?

Weapons go right through the innocents now, intentional?

• The new shopkeeper attack pattern is great, a really difficult challenge but now that it’s no longer a plain square you’ll see him do things like walk through his attack lanterns.

MORE PRAISE
    Item descriptions in inventory and real map icons.

• LDG

@Affordable_Desk said:

Hi guys I found out at about 02:00am because I couldn’t sleep, I 'll just call it an all-nighter and work on my house move work while downloading, luckily I have a special weakness to coffee it’s twice as effective on me so no one at work will know my crimes, NO ONE I TELL YOU!!! And this thread is jumping with some lively DRM debate! Found some stuff, haven’t had time for a good run yet though, if I get out of work in time I should be able to mess around in the sewers tomorrow with more in depth stuff.

And how much would you pay to make sure no one at work will know your crimes?

On to the feedback feedback!

Selecting Credits in main menu re-fades in the original title music doesn’t feel right breaks flow. Actually just letting the music continue would be fine.

That does sound a bit off. Noted!

I’m assuming that eventually “Achievements” will bring up the Steam overlay? This isn’t a preference of mine or anything just checking.

Ideally, yes. I need to research exactly how this works but assuming I have time I’d like to make this happen.

Go into settings, select Fullscreen, it works. Quit game, start again. The game isn’t Fullscreen, that’s fine but unfortunately Fullscreen is still ticked when you go back into settings, untick it and the game goes Fullscreen, tick it and it goes non-fullscreen etc.

So it does. I’ll make a note to add some checking of the fullscreen state.

I brought up the text tearing problem a while back, it wasn’t noticeable back then and I dismissed it because it was only Windows 8 I was using and it was probably causing the problem itself. It’s a little worse now I’m afraid but again I’m sure at least only Windows 8, if anyone else can say if they get it what they’re using. Anyway thanks to Steam screenshots I was able to catch it in the act. Basically, as you can see in this picture text appears to be written over random locations, in this instance it’s the word “Back” at the bottom is finding itself popping up in several places at the top.

We have some new text rendering code which should hopefully fix this issue. I need to go back and replace these usages of the legacy methods. Thanks for catching it in the act!

Classic side to the wall collision issue is still there. If your side is to the north wall and you fire a sword it just bounces into thin air. Slight twist on it though, firing downward while side to east wall gets it too

Want to see Raga’s sprite bounce and blur like crazy? Just keep walking downwards into any solid object (including walls). An even funnier one is keeping walking down into a wall, now hold dash and keep the down key/stick held down, looks like a seizure. Monsters suffer from this too, kite a skeleton downwards to a centre placed grave and they’ll bounce too.

Don’t you love collision regression? I’ll spend some time making Raga less bouncy and projectiles less collide-y.

Love the soul blast but the keys for it are very poorly placed for keyboard players.

I had a hard time figuring out good defaults for these keys. Open to suggestions, but you can also configure the key bindings via the brand new key bindings option in Settings!

Swords (and possibly other weapons) have inherited the axe pass through blocks glitch. Here’s a video, see how the sword jumps left and right of the block. I was also able to demonstrate the juddering glitch mentioned earlier. I know it might look like I was firing through gaps I wasn’t, I was just holding down on the keyboard cursor the whole time. Actually, I looked further into this, during that video my swords were moving in the killer bees pattern. Can you confirm that a piece of equipment causes that? I think I had something called a “Heretic Helm”.

Yes, I can confirm that the Heretic Helm causes some “chaos” to your weapon trajectory much like Killer Bees. I’ll also look into the block collision.

PRAISE
    I’m sure praise will just get in the way of good bug reporting but mouse aiming, 2 thumbs up and a pleasant surprise.

You can thank @richtaur for that. :)

Dash mechanic with boots and “coolbox” (as you guys call it), much much better.

Progress map, nice polish.

Like soul blasts and totems.

Excellent!

OTHER
    Is being able to walk behind the town lanterns intentional?

I think we reduced the collision size of lanterns at some point which made this possible. It may or may not get changed, but it’s not exactly intentional.

No opening cutscene? Is this a deliberate choice or presumably just for the testing?

The standard cutscene is still there, it’s probably picking up your save game from the Humble version. If not, that’s a bug.

Weapons go right through the innocents now, intentional?

Yep. The townsfolk/weapon interactions were always a little weird. You could hit them, but they couldn’t die. We chose to just remove player weapon collision from the townsfolk in town.

• Tiger Hat

I really like Desk’s feedback outline so I’m going to steal it.

PRAISE:
    Really like how armor is more unique in that the majority are no longer armor increasing upgrades. Also love the addition of new modifiers like shot spread and cool down.

Totems: Totems are awesome! They definitely add more depth

Axe: No longer overpowered default choice (sadly). Due to the axe’s fall, I’ve even began to experiment with the boom spear a bit more…

Love the addition of more items.

Fans are devious and deadly!

Update to the shopkeeper makes them a more worthy foe.

Love the addition of dash.

Reworked Zombie Warlord is a much more enjoyable fight.
    OTHER

Can you still buy blueprints? I haven’t been able to find a shop that sells them…
    Does health just no longer drop other than the zombie warlord? The only other health I have found is in shops and those are really expensive.
    What does the magic stat do? I think it affects totems and soul blast, but I can’t be sure.

CONCERNS

As mentioned above, health seems to be in short supply. This coupled with the halving of the player character’s health makes the game even more deadly and even more challenging. Also, the reduction in armor increasing items has also led to an overall in player toughness. I don’t mind a difficult game, but I think both of these changes may have made the player too fragile. My opinion of this may change as I continue playing, but it was something that immediately alarmed me.

The totem that draws enemies in (wooden totem?) doesn’t seem to function. It just sits there and makes me feel sad.

Overall, great update. Will play more and report back later.

• Tiger Hat

@geoffb said:

And how much would you pay to make sure no one at work will know your crimes?

You already took @Josue’s coins haven’t you done enough?

I had a hard time figuring out good defaults for these keys. Open to suggestions, but you can also configure the key bindings via the brand new key bindings option in Settings!

Yeah I re-bound the keys straight away for that, still stands though. This isn’t the feedback I liked to give in the initial beta way back because I felt it got in the way of real bugs but knowing how Steam user reviews go I feel I’d be doing you a disservice to leave things like that unmentioned, they will downvote you for stuff like that. Tough placements to get right but most games never go wrong with Q and E for extra functions, maybe you can try that.

Yes, I can confirm that the Heretic Helm causes some “chaos” to your weapon trajectory much like Killer Bees. I’ll also look into the block collision.

Will the universe implode if I have Killer Bees and the Heretic Helm at the same time?

The standard cutscene is still there, it’s probably picking up your save game from the Humble version. If not, that’s a bug.

I’ll try Erase Data (if that’s still a function in game) and see if that works.

• Tiger Hat

@Elite said:

Axe: No longer overpowered default choice (sadly). Due to the axe’s fall, I’ve even began to experiment with the boom spear a bit more…

Ah there’s no more room for old Axe wielding dinosaurs like ourselves, farewell old friend.

• LDG

@Mew said:

Sorry for the mental anguish. We should have been clearer about the rollout plan. Your feedback is super helpful, we’ll definitely get you a build as soon as we can.

• Looking great so far! Audio is finally fixed for Windows 8.1 devices with touch screens. Awesome!

I found this bug by accident, I normally play with a gamepad, but I was messing around with the keyboard.

1. Start Game
    2. Press Escape
    3. Press [ or ] to get to the inventory screen
    4. Press any of the arrow keys

[Expected Result]
    I am able to move the selection reticle.

[Actual Result]
    I am un-able to move the selection reticle with the arrow keys. Using a gamepad works fine.

• Tiger Hat

@Justin-Credible said:

1. Start Game
    2. Press Escape
    3. Press [ or ] to get to the inventory screen
    4. Press any of the arrow keys

[Expected Result]
    I am able to move the selection reticle.

[Actual Result]
    I am un-able to move the selection reticle with the arrow keys. Using a gamepad works fine.

Hey @Justin-Credible, can you try again with WSAD? I think they did it for that combination instead.

• @Affordable_Desk Ah yes, using WSAD does work. Makes sense.