New project/what are you working on?

• Tiger Hat

Thanks to @Affordable_Desk for the suggestion - what are all you LDG fans up to in the videogame of your life?

Post links to prototypes, thoughts and ideas of stuff that you are working on/want to work on. From #1GAM to #slothdev, from AAA to indie - if you’re interested, we’re interested!

• Tiger Hat

Okay, to get the ball rolling - I’m working on revamp of my current crappy website, which will be based on hand-drawn animations brought to life with requestAnimationFrame - for which I am eternally grateful to @Josue for his support with on this epic thread.

The prototype, which I used for aligning the animations with the background image, is here and the code that I’ve just today cobbled together for hit detection is just next door. Thanks to everyone who chipped in on this post about hit detection for that!

Comments and suggestions welcome, but not always adhered to (this happens a lot with my wife! “Can’t you make the drawing a bit less crappy?”). The end result is basically just going to be the prototype with some text that pops up and it will be funny. It’s a car/website analogy thing. Trust me.

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

Comments and suggestions welcome, but not always adhered to (this happens a lot with my wife! “Can’t you make the drawing a bit less crappy?”).

What are you talking about?!! The drawing is great!

• Penguin

I like the coffee beans background!

And like @Josue said… what crappy drawing…? Is it because you put weird symbols on the coins instead of $ ? :) Also, I think I broke some of them :/ I keep clicking on the family tree and I gots nothing!

• Patron

So, as I showed before, I was making a game with assembly programming for Low rez Jam 2014.

Right now, I’m not sure if I can finish it on time, neither if I should try to finish it in 5 days.

I think I’ll put this project on a short hiatus and do something smaller for LRJ.

I wanna this game to be something big, and with 5 days left and a resolution of 32x32, I would have to cut out lots o’ awesomeness I wanna put into it to finish it on time.

So… suggestions of what should I do for LRJ?

(just so you know, the only limitation on LRJ is to make a game with the maximum resolution of 32x32).

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

@cheersphilip said:

Comments and suggestions welcome, but not always adhered to (this happens a lot with my wife! “Can’t you make the drawing a bit less crappy?”).

What are you talking about?!! The drawing is great!

:) She thinks I can do better - I’m like “when?!”

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

I like the coffee beans background!

And like @Josue said… what crappy drawing…? Is it because you put weird symbols on the coins instead of $ ? :) Also, I think I broke some of them :/ I keep clicking on the family tree and I gots nothing!

Your ‘S’ with a vertical line is nothing compared to our ‘L’ with a horizontal line.

You must have dug a bit to get to the family tree! Those sites are not supported, so if you broke it, lady, you fix it!

• Penguin

@cheersphilip I’d fix it if I knew how! Also, I know I said “I think I broke [them]” but actually iirc, there were paw marks before I got there! Not mine!

Also, as I’ve told most peeps, I’m not a lady! I’m a dudette!

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

So, as I showed before, I was making a game with assembly programming for Low rez Jam 2014.

Right now, I’m not sure if I can finish it on time, neither if I should try to finish it in 5 days.

I think I’ll put this project on a short hiatus and do something smaller for LRJ.

I wanna this game to be something big, and with 5 days left and a resolution of 32x32, I would have to cut out lots o’ awesomeness I wanna put into it to finish it on time.

So… suggestions of what should I do for LRJ?

(just so you know, the only limitation on LRJ is to make a game with the maximum resolution of 32x32).

I really want to do this, tomorrow’s Friday if I sleep well tonight I think I can pull a twelve hours shift on this on Friday night. Did you come up with another idea yet @Josue? I never enter game jams but this one looks designed to be a lot more accessible.

• Patron

@Affordable_Desk said:

I really want to do this,

Do it!!!

Did you come up with another idea yet @Josue? I never enter game jams but this one looks designed to be a lot more accessible.

No, I didn’t :(

That has been the hardest part in game dev until now for me.

With the programming knowledge I currently have, I’m pretty sure I could implement almost any 2D game idea you can think of, but I’m never sure if my ideas are going to be any good.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue That is really hard. As @richtaur and @geoffb are always saying on Lostcast, they’re not so concerned about the tech anymore, because the hard part is always going to be making an game that is fun!

I guess if you just get on and make something, then you will know whether it sucks or not, so you can then make another one that will hopefully suck a bit less.

So low res jam you are limited to 32x32 pixles? That’s pretty small! I would implement some kind of faux-3D thing where you are falling through a psychadelic tunnel (represented by diff coloured wireframe squares moving towards you), and your task is to stay in the middle of the tunnel as it bends (centre of the squares moves left/right/up/down). IT would be like a combination of Battlezone and Wipeout. But in fabulous 32px resolution!

EDIT: looks like the markup doesn’t like me using url’s that end in parenthases, so you just have to google them yourselves. If you want.

• LDG

Limitations are great for creativity! Since finding something fun and unique is hard, our new thinking is we’ll make lots of small prototypes and ditch the ones that suck, chase the ones that show potential. Good times ahead…

• Penguin

New project! (Since my old one pretty much got smoldered…)

@geoffb is going to teach me how to code - literally from the start!

In return, I will teach him science things, it seems we might start on some basic cell structure and functions, maybe some Mendelian genetic exercises… but they will all be in … TAGALOG! muahahahaha! White boy needs to learn my native tongue, imo!

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

@geoffb is going to teach me how to code - literally from the start!

Now, THAT sounds like fun!

So, I guess LDG will now have three programmers?

In return, I will teach him science things, it seems we might start on some basic cell structure and functions, maybe some Mendelian genetic exercises… but they will all be in … TAGALOG! muahahahaha!

Hey, make sure to teach us too! Another language is never too much!

• Patron

I’m spending the first vacation week on uncle’s house.

They have a piano here, so, I started to work on a Lunch Bug arrangement.

I’ll post it here as soon as I can play it without messing up some scale.

• Patron

Piano + JMFlava = FUN

Still not perfect, but anyways…

• LDG

@Josue said:

Piano + JMFlava = FUN

Awesome!

• Patron

@richtaur said:

@Josue said:

Piano + JMFlava = FUN

Awesome!

Thanks!

Hey, please tell Mr.Morse that his music is pretty effing hard to take by ear, ok?

All those 7ths makes my temporal lobe confused.

• Patron

I decided to resume the development of that ASM coding game I’ve shown before, system by system, starting, of course, by finishing my virtual CPU implementation.

I still don’t have an assembler for it, but you can check the sources here.

My goal is to make kind of a side scrolling 0x10c, but steampunk themed.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue I have no idea what you just said! ASM? Virtual processor? Who?!

• Patron

@cheersphilip said:

@Josue I have no idea what you just said! ASM? Virtual processor? Who?!

Yeah, Assembly and Virtual processor.