Not trolling…just wondering what people here think of this?


  • Tiger Hat

    As posted in a Linkedin Unity conversation with the topic “Non-game apps”:

    “Hum… Real is that Unity is the only solution that works to have one project, mixing 2D/3D whatever, that compiles perfect in one blow on all platforms: iOs, Android, osX, windows pcs, windows phones, linuxes of every flavours…
    Ah oui, pretty soon, webGL will make that this heresy: w3c, javascript and the like will be nothing but a bad memory, a fairy tale of primitives times that we’ll read to our grandchildren.”



  • Unity’s time is likely now I’d say, and has the backing to achieve the first sentence in the above. The second sentence (presumably the one you’re most interested in hearing a response to) assumes that we’re all smart and logical and at the end of the day the right semantics and structure will win, I’d wager that being wrong.

    I sincerely doubt that the several giant companies who invested billions of dollars in the development of the open web on the back of JavaScript are going to just let that collapse, they’re going to keep hacking away at it until it’s a premier platform, they know the same as everyone that the web we have today is the web we should have had in about 2008, once they bake in native HTML5/Javascript APIs for operating systems like they did in Windows 8 (still can’t believe they were the first), Unity will probably start compiling to this properly. Ironically Windows will probably be the last when you think about it, their native API only works for the tile mode I think and wouldn’t exactly run on say Desktop mode or Windows 7 etc. everyone will get round to implementing it at some point, then they’ll make Microsoft do it across the board.

    You know Microsoft could have come in and eaten both Unity and HTML5/JavaScript’s lunch years ago, then they killed managed DirectX and let it slip through their fingers. There’s a lot more to say on the subject but that’s the gist of it, Unity is Game Maker to the max, JavaScript isn’t trying to be that, they’ll both stick around but Unity is the only choice for around the next 5 years (out of the two of course I know there’s alternatives, I’m partial to the Mono projects myself).

    Although I am definitely in the Typescript/Dart camp in terms of how the stuff will be used in the next 5-10 years, not so much Dart.


  • LDG

    Hey there @TokyoDan, it’s been a while. Welcome to the forum!

    @richtaur and I were recently on a developer roundtable, talking about the future of cross-platform game dev. One of the other panelists was a guy who ran an indie game studio using Unity. He had some interesting insights coming from that perspective.

    In general, I’m pretty skeptical whenever anyone says that a given technology is the “one true way”. In reality, many modern games are created using decades old technology. I’m constantly trying to remind myself that game design is both more difficult and more important than tech.

    Unity seems to be a great platform and has lots of upsides. However, at the end of the day it’s still owned by some company who controls the licensing and deployment of your work. Remember when Microsoft shut down XNA and left game developers who targeted that stack out in the cold? That could happen again. I realize that’s a bit of FUD, but my larger point is that the openness of web tech is a pretty big upside. The web isn’t going anywhere, and Unity knows that. They wouldn’t have announced WebGL support if they thought otherwise.

    It’s all about context, as well. For a large game studio pumping out F2P near-clones to maximize profit, Unity would seem to be a great choice. For an indie studio like ours, trying to land a foothold in niche markets is a better play than deploying on every device known to man.

    You could argue that HTML5/JavaScript will simply become the target for cross-compilers (Unity, Haxe, Typescript, Dart, etc), but I can’t imagine that using pure HTML5 engines will cease to be an option.

    To sum up: Design > Tech. Crappy games in Unity are still crappy games. The same is true with HTML5 or any other technology. Excellent games can succeed no matter what tech they’re built on. The Binding of Isaac was built in Flash.


  • LDG

    Hey @TokyoDan, good to see you :)

    I just read this article on my flight today: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EJRTairne/20130504/176610/The_Making_and_Unmaking_of_a_GameMaker_Maker.php

    With the Unity == Game Maker comparison, seems like a decent thing to bring up. It was interesting seeing how GM changed over the years, and eventually fell victim to obsolete tech (basically, MSFT’s fault). One thing to remember is that many of these systems are controlled by single entities who have the power to completely change or destroy them. Apple could decide to toss Objective C, or Unity could get bought and shut down. Likely? Nah but possible, and that irks me. That’s one of the reasons I feel comfortable building my house on HTML5, is that it’s open and not “owned” by any one entity.

    I think in the future HTML5 will remain a solid choice because of its ease and inherent cross-platform compatibility. Unity will likely be in the mix for a long while too.


  • Tiger Hat

    I can’t play any unity game at work, due to the firewall and our backwards IT department. That’s not going to change any time soon :(


  • Tiger Hat

    @cheersphilip said:

    I can’t play any unity game at work, due to the firewall and our backwards IT department. That’s not going to change any time soon :(

    That is completely untrue. You say “any” Unity game. You must mean Unity games that run in the browser plug-in. There are a whole bunch of Unity games that run natively on just about any hardware. Then you need not be concerned with a firewall (unless it is online multiplayer).

    Besides…you shouldn’t be playing games at work. haha.


  • Tiger Hat

    And thanks everybody for the feedback.

    P.S. Although I now use Unity (I did try GameMaker when they started supporting HTML5) I still enjoy the Lostcast. Good entertainment and lots of game dev learning value.


  • Tiger Hat

    @richtaur Thanks for the article. I’m finally getting around to reading it.


  • Tiger Hat

    @geoffb I’m going to watch that roundtable today. Thanks for the link.


  • Tiger Hat

    @TokyoDan said:

    @cheersphilip said:

    I can’t play any unity game at work, due to the firewall and our backwards IT department. That’s not going to change any time soon :(

    That is completely untrue. You say “any” Unity game. You must mean Unity games that run in the browser plug-in. There are a whole bunch of Unity games that run natively on just about any hardware. Then you need not be concerned with a firewall (unless it is online multiplayer).

    No I see the point he’s making I think he’s referring to being unable to download and install a Unity game due to company restrictions, an HTML5 game on the other hand…


  • Tiger Hat

    @Affordable_Desk said:

    @TokyoDan said:

    @cheersphilip said:

    I can’t play any unity game at work, due to the firewall and our backwards IT department. That’s not going to change any time soon :(

    That is completely untrue. You say “any” Unity game. You must mean Unity games that run in the browser plug-in. There are a whole bunch of Unity games that run natively on just about any hardware. Then you need not be concerned with a firewall (unless it is online multiplayer).

    No I see the point he’s making I think he’s referring to being unable to download and install a Unity game due to company restrictions, an HTML5 game on the other hand…

    This is correct - no downloads, no plugins, no unity :(


  • Tiger Hat

    @TokyoDan said:

    Besides…you shouldn’t be playing games at work. haha.

    True. Forums are fine though :D


Log in to reply