Early access to the new A Wizard's Lizard updates

• LDG

For the last 3 months or so, we’ve been working on A Wizard’s Lizard, comprising ~500 changes big and small. We’re eager to deliver these changes to everyone, but first we need your help to test it!

If you’d like to play the latest version and provide feedback, fill out this form and we’ll email you when it’s ready. (Note: we’re only including those who’ve obtained the game through Humble – please use your Humble email address in the form.)

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about all these new changes.

• Tiger Hat

Awesome! Filled out the form, can’t wait to try.

• Tiger Hat

Being a big fan of the game and its setting, I have, of course, filled up the form. Now question for richtaur… do you want the feedback for the beta version to be given on the forums as usual or would you prefer the chat function (more private)? Or maybe some other method (email, Skype)?

• LDG

Thanks, your feedback is really important to us. We’ll include instructions with the builds – we’ll probably go with forum thread(s) since that’ll allow everyone to see the feedback and chime in.

• Tiger Hat

So… since you posted this thread…

Does it mean the new version will be available soon? Do you have an ETA or it’s as “it’s done when it’s done”? Likewise, will you include a list of additions/changes? From the Twitter posts, the new version seems like it will include some rather important changes (I noticed the improved tilesets, new puzzle rooms, and new map elements). Will the Dragoneater (giant Maneater) forest boss be ready for the next version or not? Likewise, will the nightmare/arena be ready or it’s for later on?

• LDG

Love these questions :)

@Mew said:

Does it mean the new version will be available soon? Do you have an ETA or it’s as “it’s done when it’s done”?

The latter. We always shoot ourselves in the foot when we say any kind of date (see: our Kickstarter claimed this game would be done in October 2013…), and this time we’re dealing with Steam which is new to us. So, not sure, don’t want to say, but soon :)

Likewise, will you include a list of additions/changes?

Definitely. We’ll probably do a huge changelog dump here on the forum, and I’m going to make a changes highlight video that focuses on the fun stuff.

Will the Dragoneater (giant Maneater) forest boss be ready for the next version or not? Likewise, will the nightmare/arena be ready or it’s for later on?

Probably neither will, but we do have plans for both! Our focus ATM is to launch a much better game on Steam than we launched in January via Humble. After that we hope to do a couple updates with more content.

• Tiger Hat

Alright! Though regarding the videos, I suggest that although you do show off the features, don’t show off the solutions (for example, if you show the puzzle rooms, don’t show them being solved or show Raga screwing up and getting the barrels exploding in his face and/or getting bombs dropped on his head). In short, it’s best to keep surprises for the game.

• LDG

Good advice :) Will just show action-packed non-spoilers!

• Tiger Hat

If it could be released this week that would be really convenient, as I will definitely have time to play it :)

• LDG

Hope so, but we made the decision to add more stuff to it (of course) so it might take longer to bake…

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Hope so, but we made the decision to add more stuff to it (of course) so it might take longer to bake…

Well… why don’t you just release what you have right now and release another beta when you add new stuff?

• Tiger Hat

It’s a bad idea to rush creators. And frankly, it is better to wait for a proper beta approved by the devs than rush Richtaur into releasing something half-playable.

• Patron

@Mew said:

It’s a bad idea to rush creators. And frankly, it is better to wait for a proper beta approved by the devs than rush Richtaur into releasing something half-playable.

@richtaur said:

[…]we made the decision to add more stuff to it[…]

I know @Mew, but from what Matt said, they’re just adding more features, so, all the other features are probably already in place.

• Tiger Hat

Said features could be major ones. They did not say how major or minor they are. Yes, I’d love to see the next version soon… but I’d prefer it to be fully ready than play something with stuff missing or with placeholders.

• Patron

@Mew said:

Said features could be major ones. They did not say how major or minor they are. Yes, I’d love to see the next version soon… but I’d prefer it to be fully ready than play something with stuff missing or with placeholders.

Yeah, and these said features could take forever to develop.
    It sounds like the puzzles/fans stuff they talked about are already in place, but they decided to add a last minute feature.
    So, why don’t we test these stuff while they add more?

Also, the sooner you do testing, the better.
    This isn’t a release, it’s just a beta testing.
    Problems which are noticed sooner are easier to fix, as there won’t be a lot of art and polishment on top of that feature.

And if we get to test it every time they make a change, we can feel very clearly that change and give very especific feedback to them.

• Tiger Hat

Ha. Now I see your logic. In that case… yeah, if that’s the case, I agree.

If Richtaur is done with all of the gameplay assets and features, he should make the beta available so they can be tested out before sinking too much time into making art assets that might have to be changed.

• Patron

@Mew said:

Ha. Now I see your logic. In that case… yeah, if that’s the case, I agree.

If Richtaur is done with all of the gameplay assets and features, he should make the beta available so they can be tested out before sinking too much time into making art assets that might have to be changed.

Yeah, that’s what I meant.

I’ve read some playtesting articles and postmortems here and there, and them all seem to advice you to playtest early as you can, and to ignore that “it’s to early to test” feeling.

• Tiger Hat

Does Josue just automatically favorite every post?

Also, can’t wait to test these new features!

• Patron

@Elite said:

Does Josue just automatically favorite every post?

Yeah, pretty much.

Let me explain:

At some point in history, YouTube gave very high hankings for videos which had been higly favorited.
    So, most youtubers asked viwers to favorite their video at the end of every video.
    Now I have the habit to like and favorite almost every video I watch on YT (my favorites playlist has almost 3000 videos!).
    And I do the same thing on Twitter, Facebook and on the LDG forums.

So, favoriting a post for me means only that I didn’t hate it.

• LDG

Loving the discussion! When to do any release is a tough call. I think the ideal point is when most of the “these are obvious and we know” issues are under control. If we sent out AWL as it currently exists, many of you would say the same handful of things (at least at first). There are some glaring issues like incomplete features (experiments we decided to keep) and bugs we’re aware of. We’re just gonna get those smoothed out (not that refined) and then deliver it to you for feedback. (Here are some more words in parentheses.)

We’d push out updates more regularly, but there is a time tax that comes with that. @geoffb does all the builds himself across Win, Mac, Linux, and it can take a good chunk of his day. Kills the momentum! So we are simmering for now, but soon ;)

@Josue said:

favoriting a post for me means only that I didn’t hate it.

sometimes it’s like “mark as read” ;) I do that on YT too…

• LDG

Requested Steam keys, should be a day or two before they are granted…!