"Regular Expressions"

• Tiger Hat

You may or may not have noticed that @richtaur does not know many common idioms. The part of his brain that would normally store these is apparently filled with chiptunes.

I’m fascinated by this, so I’ve been compiling a list. A couple of these are from Lostcast, but I’m still catching up on old episodes. Let me know if you’ve heard any others I should add!

How the other half lives
    Bee in your bonnet
    Put the cart before the horse
    Sacred cow
    Keeping up with the Joneses
    Leave in the lurch
    Close your eyes and think of England
    Make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear
    Make hay while the sun shines
    Navel gazing
    Dressed to the nines
    Firing on all cylinders
    The peanut gallery
    Blue-blooded
    Off the chain
    Eat crow
    Pull the wool over our eyes (misused as “pull the sheepskin over our eyes” on Lostcast)
    Putting lipstick on a pig
    Every cloud has a silver lining (insisted that I made this one up)

• LDG

Sacred cow

Seriously what the balls is that.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

Sacred cow

Seriously what the balls is that.

Start here you’ll find it, I’m going to say you’ll bump into…Hinduism first. Can’t wait to hear your follow-up monologue on Episode 71 Cowcast next week.

• Penguin

I’m not sure this would make @richtaur feel better, but I know maybe only 3 from this list. And I think only because @geoffb told me what they meant. In my defense, english is my second language!

I still forget how the egg/dozen and horse-mouth idioms go. I just go “eggthingdozen” and “horsemouth” to @geoffb then he completes it himself. Saves me time.

• LDG

@Macaronee said:

I still forget how the egg/dozen and horse-mouth idioms go. I just go “eggthingdozen” and “horsemouth” to @geoffb then he completes it himself. Saves me time.

Two of my favorites!

“Six of one, half a dozen of the other” - I usually just shorten this to “six of one”.

“Never look a gift horse in the mouth.”

• Tiger Hat

@andraconda said:

Make hay while the sun shines
    The peanut gallery

These two for me, no idea.

@richtaur can we make this an introductory poll for new account creations? Where you have to get 4 or more or you get an account denial message saying “Get out”, or at least a “Hi Matt!”.

@Macaronee have you discovered any sayings from the Philippines that you don’t hear over here? I remember I was watching a documentary on Carlito’s Way (one of those rare films that’s always better on the second view for some reason) that had a Puerto Rican saying for example that when translated into English sounded really good, it translated to “together, but not mixed up”. I’m sure there’s an English/American saying that probably says the same thing but I can’t think of it, for some reason I never forgot that Puerto Rican saying though.

@andraconda so can/should we submit other sayings to your list? (I’m leaning more towards the “should” question there) I mean if we posted then @richtaur could just look it up but at the same time if we PM’d you sayings to try and use randomly when you’re together it would probably become a chore for both of you most likely with @richtaur saying “the forum put you up to this didn’t you!” then running away. Therefore by process of elimination I can really only figure the best approach would be for everyone on the forum to stage an elaborate Truman show holiday farce thrice times a year where we all replace the people in your neighbourhood for about a week and drop the sayings on him randomly. And @richtaur if you’re reading this, um…don’t remember it.

• Penguin

@Affordable_Desk I can’t think of any profound ones, but people there use the phrase which literally translates to “[I] smell like sun” when they’ve been out in the sun too long. I don’t think I’ve really heard it here.

But regarding not knowing idioms/sayings, I remember when I first moved to California, a classmate had said to me that she thought so-and-so looked “fobby”. I had no idea what that meant and she said “What? Do you live under a rock?” I replied, “No, I live in [insert my address here]”

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee You get a pass. Matt doesn’t have any excuse since he was raised in the midwestern US, where I feel people use idioms even more than they do in CA.

@Affordable_Desk If you’ve heard him confused about something on Lostcast, please let me know! The bulk of these came from a day where I found a giant list of idioms online and read them out loud to him, so I’ve already run a bunch of random ones by him.

My current favorite non-American expression is “not my circus, not my monkeys” (not my problem). I saw it on Reddit a few months ago and I’ve been using it constantly.

• LDG

horsemouth"

This feels right somehow.

an introductory poll for new account creations

Great idea! I’ll file a ticket on @geoffb ;)

“the forum put you up to this didn’t you!”

She’s been running little psychology experiments on me for years :(

she thought so-and-so looked “fobby”. I had no idea what that meant and she said “What? Do you live under a rock?” I replied, “No, I live in [insert my address here]”

An odd word coupled with an idiom! No wonder miscommunication is so common…

Reminds me of Greg @ Whippering saying “bullish” a lot, and he’s got @geoffb saying it. When I first heard it I thought it was negative, I think because just the word “bull” means “I do not believe what you are saying, sir or madam” But apparently it’s a really positive word, like “excited about”.

• Patron

@Macaronee said:

I’m not sure this would make @richtaur feel better, but I know maybe only 3 from this list. And I think only because @geoffb told me what they meant. In my defense, english is my second language!

Haha, I only know two.
    And one of them because of Lostcast!

That’s probably because I only read tech-related stuff in english, so…

• Patron

There’s a brazillian saying that goes something like this:

“If mounted on the donkey, you better hold on the trot!”

• Tiger Hat

Regular expressions update:

Koopa has a dragon toy. Tonight, Matt told me Koopa was “chasing the dragon” and I had to explain why I thought this was hilarious.

Considering Koops is a lowrider and prone to grabbing things on his walks, I wouldn’t put it past him to score some sweet ground heroin in Venice.

• LDG

@andraconda I knew there must be a reason Koopa seemed so chill.

• Tiger Hat

Perhaps, a strangely apt, Australian saying;

“Flat out like a lizard drinking”

If you want some … colourful … expressions, you should learn some Australian, we have a unique way with words.