Lostcast 68

• Tiger Hat

Dunno if this is Josue’s official job and I’m stealing it but…

So I’d definitely be interested in a zip of Djinn. Though it’d be cooler if you had a public git repo. I’d actually be interested in learning about a lot of your processes. While I realize that perhaps you don’t consider yourselves the best of role models for these things, you are some of the most likely willing to share. Also, I would like to know more about what ticket system you use, what editors you use, pretty much everything :) I probably won’t try to adopt at least 50% of what you use (for one, I’m a PC not a Mac) but I would still love to know and learn. If nothing else, it’d help me know what not to do.

I watched exactly 1:01 of the weird puppet show before I lost interest. To be fair tho, I already listened to 67 so I wasn’t really ready to sit and stare at YouTube for an hour of that :) It did make me think of the Ricky Gervais show tho (if you’ve seen it, it’s a cartoon version of his podcast, hilarious) even though that show has way better animation of course.

Another thing that I’ve been interested in is your contract work. You obviously are under NDA for the game titles, but I’m curious about how you find contract work and whatever else you are able to speak about.

Also, LOL @ Past Matt. Maybe you should make a game involving time travel, and in the past the main character always talks pre-pubescent. Like an old school adventure like Maniac Mansion or Zak McKraken (good HTML5 choices) game with some voice overs, start with a guy with a normal voice and then when he travels into the past, even 5 minutes, his balls reascend.

I’ve fallen victim a couple of times to the full rewrite, well once really bad, and then after that I tend to realize much sooner that I’ve wandered down the rabbit hole. Definitely good advice, NEVER do a full rewrite. Ever.

So I feel for you on your bandwidth costs for Lostcast, I truly enjoy the show, and would be sad if it went away. Perhaps a donation thing or some other way that I could send you a little money here and there (not that I think you plan to end it). I’d like to help support you in some way, I bought AWL, it wouldn’t be much, but I could toss another peanut in your peanut jar.

• Patron

@Warspawn said:

I stole it from @david, so…

So I’d definitely be interested in a zip of Djinn. Though it’d be cooler if you had a public git repo. I’d actually be interested in learning about a lot of your processes. While I realize that perhaps you don’t consider yourselves the best of role models for these things, you are some of the most likely willing to share. Also, I would like to know more about what ticket system you use, what editors you use, pretty much everything :) I probably won’t try to adopt at least 50% of what you use (for one, I’m a PC not a Mac) but I would still love to know and learn. If nothing else, it’d help me know what not to do.

After trying some HTML5 game engines, including Phaser, I came to the conclusion that it is better to use my own tools. But I learned a bunch from all those engines, specially Crafty and Phaser.
    After the Lostcasat 67 thread, I know kind of understand how Djinn works, but I want to know why it is organized this way.
    If there are significant advantages in the way Djinn is architectured, I might want to do something similar in my framework.

I watched exactly 1:01 of the weird puppet show before I lost interest. To be fair tho, I already listened to 67 so I wasn’t really ready to sit and stare at YouTube for an hour of that :) It did make me think of the Ricky Gervais show tho (if you’ve seen it, it’s a cartoon version of his podcast, hilarious) even though that show has way better animation of course.

I would LOOOOVE to see a “proper” cartoon adaptation of Lostcast, but that would take too much time and work.
    But I still like the video Lostcasts! I mean, why don’t you keep doing them? Of course, I could just listen to the podcast, but seeing your faces adds a whole lot more information to it.
    Maybe you could do something like Good Mythical Morning, but without affecting the listenability of the podcast.

Another thing that I’ve been interested in is your contract work. You obviously are under NDA for the game titles, but I’m curious about how you find contract work and whatever else you are able to speak about.

Yeah, I’m really interested in that too!
    Also, when and where will we be able to play the game?
    As a note for Matt, next time use Onslaught sfx, not that lame beep!

Also, LOL @ Past Matt. Maybe you should make a game involving time travel, and in the past the main character always talks pre-pubescent. Like an old school adventure like Maniac Mansion or Zak McKraken (good HTML5 choices) game with some voice overs, start with a guy with a normal voice and then when he travels into the past, even 5 minutes, his balls reascend.

Haha, that would be fun!
    Maybe an adventure platformer?
    Oh, I know! Something like Super Time force, but with talking past “clones”!

I’ve fallen victim a couple of times to the full rewrite, well once really bad, and then after that I tend to realize much sooner that I’ve wandered down the rabbit hole. Definitely good advice, NEVER do a full rewrite. Ever.

I’m still not convinced of that.
    All Joel’s article said is that doing a rewrite is bad for software companies, and that is totally understandable, but I’m not sure if indies fit exactly in this category.
    Sure, all that indies do is making software, but the code is not the most important part of these softwares.

So I feel for you on your bandwidth costs for Lostcast, I truly enjoy the show, and would be sad if it went away. Perhaps a donation thing or some other way that I could send you a little money here and there (not that I think you plan to end it).

Didn’t you guys have a Paypal donation thingy?
    What happened to that?
    Maybe some ads? Well, that depends on how much traffic lostcast gets…
    Do you have any numbers? I’m really interested to know how much people actually listen to lostcast!

but I could toss another peanut in your peanut jar.

Haha, perfect metaphor!

• LDG

TAG! You’re it ;)

a zip of Djinn. Though it’d be cooler if you had a public git repo

I think putting Djinn2 up on GitHub is probably gonna happen someday, but let’s say 2025 just so I don’t put my foot in my mouth ;)

I’d actually be interested in learning about a lot of your processes…, you are some of the most likely willing to share

That’s key, haha! I swear John Carmack should just point a video at his station all day so we can watch him work. But the very best are too busy!

Also, I would like to know more about what ticket system you use, what editors you use, pretty much everything :)

I’ve actually had some requests for this recently so I put my setup on my stupid website. For tickets we use/recommend Asana. I’m sure @geoffb will do the same if you nudge him :)

It did make me think of the Ricky Gervais show

Hah, yeah SModimations are great too.

how you find contract work

100% of them have come in through email. Getting contracts is very nebulous because you cannot do much to directly get contracts; it’s better to let them come to you. And the way you do that is by being well known and easy to contact.

Maniac Mansion

Fun fact: the Godfather of JavaScript worked on that game for NES!

Perhaps a donation thing or some other way that I could send you a little money here and there (not that I think you plan to end it). I’d like to help support you in some way, I bought AWL, it wouldn’t be much, but I could toss another peanut in your peanut jar.

Aww, thank you! Fortunately Humble lets you increase the amount you paid for a thing, which you should be able to do from AWL.com. Very kind of you :) And thanks for the thread too! Feedback keeps Lostcast alive, good stuff.

• LDG

I came to the conclusion that it is better to use my own tools. But I learned a bunch from all those engines, specially Crafty and Phaser.

Agreed, I’ve pretty much always felt this way. The tools take time to work on but the end result is so much more personal and streamlined. I’m never comfortable in someone else’s suit…

But I still like the video Lostcasts! I mean, why don’t you keep doing them?

I will, they’ll all be online moving forward :)

Good Mythical Morning

That’s well done, I dig that. Our dream is to both live in Hawaii and share an office, where we could make games and do videos like that…

Do you have any numbers? I’m really interested to know how much people actually listen to lostcast!

I actually spent a chunk of yesterday digging through 640MB of logs on AWS, and yes, I finally sort of have some numbers! They’re kind of nonsense at the moment but I’ll parse them a bit more and talk about them on the next show.

• Tiger Hat

I’ve actually had some requests for this recently so I put my setup on my stupid website. For tickets we use/recommend Asana. I’m sure @geoffb will do the same if you nudge him :)

OMG that is the BEST website ever. For a split second I think there is some busted web page, and then I notice it’s you with a backpack on. BRILLIANT!

• Patron

Hey Matt, I was re-listening to the episode while coming back from a rehearsal, and I was thinking about that .mov problem with TweenCast.
    Maybe you could just upload the .mov file from Screenium and use the Youtube editor to cut it?

• LDG

some busted web page, and then I notice it’s you

Thanks! It’s really funny when people don’t get it… I’ve had several people contact me and be like “dude your website was squatted” and I’m like “was it? look closer” ;) Maybe I’m kind of a troll… ;)

Maybe you could just upload the .mov file from Screenium and use the Youtube editor to cut it?

That’s a good idea I will try that!

• LDG

@richtaur said:

There’s also this thread about Work Gear posted a while back.

• Patron

@richtaur said:

Maybe I’m kind of a troll… ;)

Well, at least you’re a smart troll ;)

• Patron

Also @richtaur, you pronunciation of my name is still… not quite there =P
    From the first time you said it to the second, there was a HUGE improvement , followed by a slow decline over time.
    So… see if this helps.

• LDG

From the first time you said it to the second, there was a HUGE improvement , followed by a slow decline over time.

“Josh” it is! ;)

• Patron

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing you talked about…

Guys… 10k?
    10 freaking k?

10 'effing grand, PER MONTH?

Guys… just move to south America, NAO!

Just to give you an idea of a OVERESTIMATED life cost in Brazil:

• A grand is more than enough to rent a fancy house.
    • With $500, you can have plenty of water, plenty of electricity and a fancy 200mb/ps connection.
    • With another 500 bucks, you can buy all the toiletries and food needed for a four people family AND all the cleaning products for your fancy house.

So, it’s pretty safe to say you could cut your costs by half… at least!
    But let’s be conservative.

Oh, just make sure you buy all the gadgets you might want, BEFORE moving to south America.
    I mean:
    muito caro!

Just in case you’re wondering or trying to do the conversion, yeah, the CHEAPEST Macbook Air costs TWO GRAND in Brazil.

• LDG

Be right there!