ASMR

• Tiger Hat

So this is sort of a game design discussion. There is this thing that you may have experienced, it’s like tickling or goosebumps on the back of your neck. I often get it when I’m really excited about something. It is really cool, because it usually has the after effect of me “getting into the zone” with whatever I am doing, coding, twitch gaming, etc. It’s called ASMR short for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Talking about the Elder Scrolls games reminded me of it. Whenever I hear that familiar theme song, because I so thoroughly enjoy those games, I tend to get goosebumps of excitement. I also tend to get it when I watch some movie previews or when trailers for the next Game of Thrones season is coming out.

So I bring this up for discussion about how this can possibly be achieved in game design. Is it just because I really like the Elder Scrolls games? Or is it the right combination of music and visuals? Does anyone else get that feeling with anything? I think any game that could trigger that kind of reaction in me would guarantee my money :) so maybe it would be worth figuring out :)

Or just something to talk about :P

• Patron

@Warspawn said:

So this is sort of a game design discussion. There is this thing that you may have experienced, it’s like tickling or goosebumps on the back of your neck. I often get it when I’m really excited about something. It is really cool, because it usually has the after effect of me “getting into the zone” with whatever I am doing, coding, twitch gaming, etc.

I’ve experienced it. So good!
    Interestingly, what usually triggers it for me is seeing someone work carefully on something, silently.
    That’s why I’ve always enjoyed sitting next to my uncle and see him programming.
    Yeah, that’s a pretty nerdy way to trigger ASMRs.

So I bring this up for discussion about how this can possibly be achieved in game design. Is it just because I really like the Elder Scrolls games? Or is it the right combination of music and visuals? Does anyone else get that feeling with anything? I think any game that could trigger that kind of reaction in me would guarantee my money :) so maybe it would be worth figuring out :)

Or just something to talk about :P

Well, sure, it would be cool if we could design a game to trigger that, but looks like we still don’t know what exactly triggers ASMRs, nor if it actually is something real.
    With that said, youtube whisperers usually work for me.
    Also, Cave Story used to trigger ASMRs on me all the time, mostly when I was exploring. You know, feeling that the game world is actually alive, feeling totally imersed into the game. Then one of Pixel’s lovely songs kicks in…

• LDG

So this is sort of a game design discussion.

I really wish all conversations started this way ;)

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, goosebumps of excitement

Love that feeling! Seems so rare in games too…

Does anyone else get that feeling with anything?

I get goosebumps from music often, and movies rarely. Scott Pilgrim is probably the most recent.

Is it just because I really like the Elder Scrolls games? Or is it the right combination of music and visuals?

I forget where I saw this but there was a study done measuring brain activity when exposed to music the participant had heard of VS had never heard. Music familiar to the participant was far more likely to cause goosebumps. I don’t know what this implies but it might have something to do with expectation.

Recently @andraconda said something to me like, “Apparently people get goosebumps from music?” which leads me to believe that it can be a very subjective thing.

how this can possibly be achieved in game design. maybe it would be worth figuring out :)

There’s definitely something valuable there. Maybe it’s just because I don’t play horror games or something, but I think I rarely get those goosebumps moments in games. The last time in a game for me might have been in Skyrim when I first found Blackreach? I’d be surprised of Hotline Miami didn’t affect me in that way but I can’t recall any times. Which is a shame of course because it’s a great feeling! More often what I get (and probably seek out) is that triumphant YES! moment of success over a difficult challenge. Some of my favorite gaming moments like that are some REALLY hard multiplayer achievements in the Left 4 Dead games, and of course Spelunky achievements.

It’s a very interesting subject! Seems like a core reaction to achieve, valuable knowledge for any game designer.

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

@Warspawn said:

So this is sort of a game design discussion. There is this thing that you may have experienced, it’s like tickling or goosebumps on the back of your neck. I often get it when I’m really excited about something. It is really cool, because it usually has the after effect of me “getting into the zone” with whatever I am doing, coding, twitch gaming, etc.

I’ve experienced it. So good!
    Interestingly, what usually triggers it for me is seeing someone work carefully on something, silently.

That totally happens to me too! Exactly like that!!

I’ve never been able to figure out what that’s about - it’s like being psychic or something, but in a really pointless way (“something tells me you’re concentrating…”).

Also, I’ve never known whether that was something anyone else got. Thanks for sharing :)