Freezes? No audio?

• Tiger Hat

Since I liked A Wizard’s Lizard, I’ve been checking Lost Decade Games’ other games and played Retreat to the Jeep and Onslaught Arena. Onslaught Arena is a particularly nice game!.. but I’ve been running into unpleasant bugs.

Namely, the game random freeze. Clicking outside the playing field and then clicking on it make it display the pause screen, unfreezing the game but I don’t get why I get this periodically mid-gameplay. Likewise, after a few games, the game ceased to have sound effects (despite me making sure they were not muted). Then, after a few more… audio stopped working completely.

Weird, just weird.

NOTE: I am playing the game in my browser, namely Firefox.

• Patron

@Mew said:

Since I liked A Wizard’s Lizard, I’ve been checking Lost Decade Games’ other games and played Retreat to the Jeep and Onslaught Arena. Onslaught Arena is a particularly nice game!.. but I’ve been running into unpleasant bugs.

Namely, the game random freeze. Clicking outside the playing field and then clicking on it make it display the pause screen, unfreezing the game but I don’t get why I get this periodically mid-gameplay. Likewise, after a few games, the game ceased to have sound effects (despite me making sure they were not muted). Then, after a few more… audio stopped working completely.

Weird, just weird.

NOTE: I am playing the game in my browser, namely Firefox.

Yeah, Onslaught is pretty buggy, mainly because of the way the game flow code was written.
    I think @richtaur and @geoffb have no plans of fixing those bugs.
    Maybe I could take a look on the source code to see if I can fix it, but no promisses.

###P.S:

Have you played the modded version of Onslaught with gamepad support I made?

• Tiger Hat

Not sure ; I played the one linked that is linked to when you check out the official site. I may check out your modded version and see if it still got the same bugs.

• Patron

@Mew said:

Not sure ; I played the one linked that is linked to when you check out the official site.

Oh, then it’s not the modded version.

I may check out your modded version and see if it still got the same bugs.

It probably has.
    The only thing I did was adding gamepad support, really.

• LDG

Yeah, sorry about the bugs. The source code is really old and terrible and we won’t get around to fixing them … unless we rewrite the whole game. We HAVE been wanting to do that… ;)

• Patron

@richtaur said:

We HAVE been wanting to do that… ;)

Onslaught 2, here we go!

• Tiger Hat

Well, I do like shoot-em-ups and Onslaught Arena was a very good game indeed. I think that a new, full Onslaught game could be pretty fun indeed!

As an extra note, playing Onslaught gave me insight as to many of the design decisions and unique quirks of A Wizard’s Lizard ; I noticed that the balance of weapons was so different from the usual incremental Roguelike because it is based off of Onslaught’s arsenal, which is fine-tuned to be balanced for an arena shooter. What I find amazing in retrospective is how A Wizard’s Lizard, gameplay-wise and mechanically, is basically the spiritual successor of Onslaught and yet, due to the level design and balancing of the character, has an opposite game flow ; A Wizard Lizard punish rushing, demanding a slower, more technical approach where you “look before you leap”. In Onslaught, if you stop moving, you die.

I admit it created a bit of a paradox ; I still really like A Wizard’s Lizard’s slower, more deliberate pace but at times, especially when you gain access to the stronger, more screen-filling weapons, I found myself craving for more intense enemy layouts and behaviours.

I also found it funny when I realized that the hidden Gelatin Cube mid-boss in A Wizard’s Lizard is not merely a random addition but a direct cameo of its appearance as Onslaught’s first boss, with its original Onslaught boss pattern mimicked pretty much perfectly. It also made me realize where that random horned helmet knight from the game back in its Crypt Run stage came from ; he was the Onslaught protagonist, pretty much. In retrospective, it made me further appreciate the switch to Raga as the protagonist for that game ; after playing Onslaught Arena, I would find it weird to see the Onslaught warrior go from being a walking tank who dual-wield weapons in crazy ways and kill a bajillion monsters with no problems to struggling with zombies and falling in a couple of hits to Dire Bat fireballs.

All in all, I’d definitely welcome a second Onslaught game ; I like shoot-em-ups quite a bit! (If that new game got multiple characters, I could see Raga as a cameo character)

• LDG

Yayy, glad you dig it! Yeah, AWL has sooo many Onslaught! references and a lot of stuff is pretty much taken directly ;) The main character (Xam) used to be the main character in AWL, back when it was called Crypt Run. Geoff and I love him because he was our first character but admittedly he’s kind of just a generic warrior dude. He’ll be an unlockable character tho eventually!

• @Mew Wow… That’s actually a really insightful analysis!