Of Raga, Death, and Arenas

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur said:

Oh and Mew DID YOU SEE?? https://vine.co/v/MHvjT1i6Uxi

That’s pretty cool seeing one of @mew’s ideas, if I recall rightly didn’t @mew come up with the great idea of making the end of level boss for the forest a train?

• Penguin

@Affordable_Desk I can see that fight.

Raga walks into the unexplored room.

CHOOCHOO. Train goes by full speed.

Splat Raga.

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

@Affordable_Desk I can see that fight.

In all my years of game playing I’ve never heard such an eloquently put idea, if I don’t see the train boss in Wizard’s Lizard by the time it goes live in Steam I’ll blow up a national landmark in a fit of rage.

I agree with @Macaronee 100% on this one, that’s 3 votes for the train boss now.

• Penguin

@Affordable_Desk
    Steam launch, train boss.

• Tiger Hat

@richtaur :
    I did see! That’s actually cool to see one of my ideas in the game!

@Affordable_Desk & Macaronee :
    However, my idea for the boss was the dragoneater (giant maneater plant), not a train. I’ve even made it part of my comic portrayal of the game’s story.

Speaking of the comic, a new chapter will be coming later today!

• Penguin

@Mew
    @Affordable_Desk is joshing you (and the devs, I assume). I, however, am just an enabler.

• Tiger Hat

I’m really disappointed there’s no train.

…or is there?

• Patron

A foggy night in the city that never sleeps…

An usual work night for inspector Raga…

AWL2

Until, a mysterious light comes from the end of the alley, approaching our beloved lizard in high speed!

A gratin high pitched sound is heard echoing off of the slimy walls.

CHOOCHOO

To be continued, in AWL2…

• Tiger Hat

@Josue said:

A foggy night in city that never sleeps…

An usual work night for inspector Raga…

AWL2

Until, a mysterious light comes from the end of the alley, approaching our beloved lizard in high speed!

A gratin high pitched sound is heard echoing off of the slimy walls.

CHOOCHOO

To be continued, in AWL2…

Raga Gut!! Or course! Thanks for reminding me @Josue

Here’s a first pass at pixel art Raga Gut, trying to go as small as I can

pixel art Raga Gut

(I snuck a copy of Paint.NET onto my desktop at work)

• Tiger Hat

But in all honesty we know the train is too difficult for newer players. Only players who choose the Loco(motive) difficultly will be able to face it.

• LDG

CHOO CHOOOOOOOO

Love the pixelragas, @Affordable_Desk!

We might have to make an adventure game. Fedoraga! Solve lizardy mysteries.

• Penguin

@richtaur said:

CHOO CHOOOOOOOO

Love the pixelragas, @Affordable_Desk!

We might have to make an adventure game. Fedoraga! Solve lizardy mysteries.

First episode: The Case of the Severed Tail.

3 months later… case solved.

• Tiger Hat

Really? An adventure game? Actually… that would be strangely fitting ; given Raga is not exactly a powerhouse, overcoming adversity through clever use of items (and through lots of trial & error via dying a lot) would be actually perfectly in-character with him as a whole.

In fact… this entire discussion about ‘Fedo-Raga: Solve lizardy mysteries’ inspired me! So… here goes!

Fedoraga 1
    Our hero in his office! Oh, it’s Lilly! Wonder what the nice lady wants of our hero?

Fedoraga 2
    Of course, who says “adventure game” also say “1001 embarassing ways to kill yourself”. True to tradition, Raga step off a cliff with lethal results and get snarked by the unseen, snippy narrator (probably Death).

Fedoraga cast
    And of course, what adventure game is without its cast of colorful characters? Private eye Raga can count on the help of strong, independant Lady Lilly, who will give him new cases, hints for the current case, and maybe more rewards than just money if he ask nicely and act sufficiently cute. Meanwhile, Inspector Jules is snarky, prone to point out Raga’s cowardice, and quick to blame him for mishaps. He is also a steadfast ally and one who will constantly get our hero out of the many snags he is sure to clumsily wander into.

In the second column, we have Crazy Eye Joe, a pitiable low-rank mugger addicted to about 12 different illegal substances who will be quick to shank Raga should he step out of the game area. Otherwise, he act as a minor annoyance and a source of humor. As do Shifty Eyes the ratman, an insufferable rodent who always happen to have whatever item Raga need to solve the next puzzle… for a price that is always exhorbitant even if the item is one that should be easy to find. In fact, especially if it’s a common item that should be easy to find. Finally we have those two green goblins with rather anachronistic, and silly, punk outfits! Those rather worthless thugs always conveniently happen to work for whoever is the current case’s perpreator and will keep throwing hurdles at Raga (as well as killing him repeatedly for each of the player’s mistakes).

Finally, the third column has Strongclaw the orc. Despite his name and appearance, he wear a nifty suit and work as a high-class bodyguard for celebrities. He’s quite polite and very serious about his job and reputation ; he’ll be polite at all time, even while folding Raga into the shape of a pretzel after he poked him one time too many in an attempt at working him into a homicidal frenzy in the vain hope of getting past him without bribing him. Then, we have Death… yeah, I don’t need to describe him ; he was a jerk in A Wizard’s Lizard, he’s still a jerk in this game. Oh and he traded his scythe for a gatling gun. And he got pinpoint ace sniper accuracy. So yeah, don’t pester him. Finally, we have Renzezzi the kobold. A long-suffering travelling bartender who is totally not carrying alcohol in the giant keg he’s carrying around. No sirrey. The frotty liquid is totally a new type of water drink and not just alcohol…

• Penguin

I saw the first drawing before reading and thought “HOLY CRAP RAGA IS GETTIN’ SUM”

• Tiger Hat

@Mew
    Sorry with Point and Click adventure games being the ones I play and love the most I’m trying to articulate an answer that isn’t AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! YES!!! OH MY GOD TAKE MY MONEY AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

You know a point and click adventure game made in Adventure Game Studio could be a good step up for you @Mew in terms of game design, you were talking about working with other technologies a while back and wanted to ask about HTML5 etc. Do you like Adventure Games yourself?

Adventure Game Studio is 100% free and Wadjet Eye made The Blackwell Games, the fantastic Gemini Rue, Resonance (the Bastion narrator is one of the main characters in that) and one of my all time favourites Primordia with it.

The LDG Forums can do the voice acting! @geoffb for narrator.

• Tiger Hat

@Macaronee said:

I saw the first drawing before reading and thought “HOLY CRAP RAGA IS GETTIN’ SUM”

mybodyisready

I like @Macaronee’s idea, after all @richtaur and @geoffb have said on Lostcast about banking on kid-friendly Raga as a valuable brand they can work with it would brilliant if the next game started as “Private Detective Raga Gut walks into a whorehouse on the east side of Amberfall City, reeking of bourbon. It had been 8 years since he’d entered this dive even though a black hole of memories kept dragging him back, like it or not he was over the event horizon now. A promise was stolen here once, and Raga had made one of his own on retrieving it”

• LDG

hahahaha so goooood @Mew!!

GET SUM

• Patron

@Affordable_Desk said:

@Mew
    You know a point and click adventure game made in Adventure Game Studio could be a good step up for you @Mew in terms of game design, you were talking about working with other technologies a while back and wanted to ask about HTML5 etc. Do you like Adventure Games yourself?

The LDG Forums can do the voice acting! @geoffb for narrator.

Guys!

Guys!!!

Guys!!!1

GUYS!!!1SHIFTONESHIFTONE

#LET’S MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

I CAN DO THE SOUNDTRACKS AND…

• Tiger Hat

Just giving a heads-up ; I’ve been missing for the last two months due to real life issues. But now, I am back and bumping those threads.

Now… I have… CONTENT! More exactly, stuff related to the new update.

OMG new stuff
    Jules & Lilly reacts to the new totem mechanic!
    And finally Raga finds out, much to his dismay, that the Boom Totem is every bit as “safe” as the Boom Spear to use.