Mouse-to-aim suggestion

• Has the use-mouse-to-aim feature had any developments? Last I heard, it still caused the frame rate to drop. I had an idea (while washing dishes) for a way to possibly make it faster. Instead of calculating the angle of the line from Raga to the cursor, what about using the Pointer Lock / Mouse Lock API? Then just point Raga based on the changes to the mouse position?

• LDG

while washing dishes

Everyone in the LDG community is always doing dishes!

The problem was a really strange one – it wasn’t a low framerate, it was a slight hang followed by input being ignored. This would happen to me constantly:

1. Start playing with mouse
    2. Notice some lag
    3. After lag stops, character just starts walking/attacking in the last input direction. No more input is accepted for 2-5 seconds

Reeeeally weird and frustrating. At the time, it was pretty much a showstopper with that input. To save time, we just shelved it :P We’ve wanted to focus on the gamepad from the beginning but mouse/keyboard was a standard from Onslaught! that we wanted to adhere to as well.

I think this is the first request I’ve seen for mouse aiming since we took it out. Do you feel pretty strongly about it?

• Well, my issue with the current keyboard controls is that I can’t fire diagonally immediately. As soon as it receives an event for either the up/down or left/right key, it fires in that direction and I have to wait for the cooldown until it detects that the other key is also pressed. I don’t know if adding a delay before the first shot is a good idea, either.

• LDG

Oh gotcha. That’s true, it’s almost impossible to press both keys simultaneously and get a single diagonal shot. I’ll reopen those tickets.

• @richtaur Great! Sorry I didn’t report the keyboard issue earlier. I guess I just assumed it was a temporary thing while the mouse issues were being resolved. :(

• LDG

No worries! I feel like mouse support is close and should come back.

• (I have not played A Wizard’s Lizard. Just watched the trailer and then tried to find out how the controls worked, that’s how I ended up here.)

For what it’s worth: This looks like a game that I would like to play simultaneously with both a gamepad (for analog movement) and a mouse (for cursor aiming).

• LDG

Mouse support will be in the next update :)

I just tried it and WOW gamepad + mouse is a good idea! It never occurred to me to try playing with that combo, it’s quite nice.

• LDG

Also: welcome to the forum @wea0!

• Thanks. You are by far not the first developer that I asked about simultaneous gamepad+mouse support, but you are the first to give a positive reply. Therefore I just had to buy your game. I think that the gamepad+mouse controls could work out pretty well, but currently there are a few

flaws:

• First and foremost it is a HUGE disappointment to see that neither the gamepad nor the mouse can be configured within the game. Currently I need two external programs to be able to set up my gamepad+mouse controls. (And even though I do not use them I feel that the standard gamepad controls are very bad. You are supposed to play with two sticks; on the Xbox360 pad there are SIX buttons that can easily be pressed while using the thumbs on the sticks; none of those buttons do anything in this game; instead, all actions are bound to four buttons that are awkward to press while uning the sticks. If it were configurable I would not set it up like that.) Why can’t this be configured?

• Why are there no direct hotkeys for inventory and map?

• Dash is weird. When trying to dash in a direction other then the four cardinals it goes into cooldown immediately without dashing. Also sometimes I don’t go off in the direction I expect to go. I never use it in combat.

• I see two mouse cursors (Windows+game), which is redundant, also their positions are out of sync when moving, which is distracting. (This happens especially when the game lags, i.e. way to often.)

• The game lags. (Usually in rooms with many enemies/projectiles, but e.g. Sewer Hag seems quite laggy as well.)

• In fullscreen there is a black border. I can move the hardware (Windows) cursor to this area. But the software (game) cursor does not follow. Clicking while in this area does not initiate an attack. However attacking and then moving the cursor there and releasing the mouse button causes Raga to attack on his own until I click again. (And then he hit the merchant and then I died. And then I had the boom spear, and then I died. etc.) Also the very top and bottom edges (where I have no black border) tend to behave in the same way. Also the auto-attack thing sometimes happens when transitioning between rooms. Extremely annoying.

Other bugs:
    This Happened on my first run (was fixed by 2x Alt-Tab)
    This Happened as well

On the bright side:
    The gameplay has been way more fun than I expected.

• LDG

@wea0 said:

Thanks. You are by far not the first developer that I asked about simultaneous gamepad+mouse support, but you are the first to give a positive reply. Therefore I just had to buy your game.

That’s great to hear, thanks for your support!

• First and foremost it is a HUGE disappointment to see that neither the gamepad nor the mouse can be configured within the game

Yeah, sorry about that. Basically we just haven’t had time to add those features. Hopefully soon!

• Why are there no direct hotkeys for inventory and map?
      This Happened as well

Coming in an update!

• Dash is weird. When trying to dash in a direction other then the four cardinals it goes into cooldown immediately without dashing. Also sometimes I don’t go off in the direction I expect to go. I never use it in combat.
    • I see two mouse cursors (Windows+game), which is redundant, also their positions are out of sync when moving, which is distracting. (This happens especially when the game lags, i.e. way to often.)

We’ll take a look at that.

• The game lags. (Usually in rooms with many enemies/projectiles, but e.g. Sewer Hag seems quite laggy as well.)

We have some performance ideas in mind, but it’ll take some time. Sorry about the lag!

• In fullscreen there is a black border. I can move the hardware (Windows) cursor to this area. But the software (game) cursor does not follow. Clicking while in this area does not initiate an attack. However attacking and then moving the cursor there and releasing the mouse button causes Raga to attack on his own until I click again. (And then he hit the merchant and then I died. And then I had the boom spear, and then I died. etc.) Also the very top and bottom edges (where I have no black border) tend to behave in the same way. Also the auto-attack thing sometimes happens when transitioning between rooms. Extremely annoying.

Auto-attack between rooms should be fixed in the next update. Regarding the borders, here’s more info: http://steamcommunity.com/app/280040/discussions/0/540744475507795518/

This Happened on my first run (was fixed by 2x Alt-Tab)

I’ll make a ticket to fix that.

The gameplay has been way more fun than I expected.

Excellent, great to hear! That’s the most important metric :) Most of your issues will be fixed soon and we’ll investigate the others. Cheers!

• Would it be easy/possible to allow rebinding of mouse buttons? I have a sorta nice gaming mouse with a lot of extra buttons and if I could bind things like Dash to Mouse4 and Totem to Mouse5 and Bomb to Rclick that’d so a long way for making mouse feel awesome to play on.

• LDG

Mouse configuration is on the list :)